Survival style chopper

Silent Matt

My new camping knife. I like how the Hamon came out but I think the handle looks funny. I might put some full size scales on or 550 cord it. 1095 steel, measures about 12" OAL and .1875 thick.

IMG_4874.jpg

Edited by Silent Matt

Those scales do seem sort of visually unbalanced. But really the first question I ask is does it feel right in the hand?

If it feels right, go with it.

Whatever you decide on the scales, the knife looks good!

Looks like it has the weight up front to do some serious chopping.

Side question, is that anvil made from RR Track?

James

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. Except a creature be part coward it is not a compliment to say it is brave. ~Mark Twain

SageBrush BladeWorks (New website is in limbo...)

James, It doesn't feel too bad in the hand, kinda cramped. I was thinking a wrap would push out the finger grooves and feel a little better, but I don't want to destroy the scales only to find out a cord wrap is horrible...

The anvil is an actual anvil, just really small.

The thing that worries me is how that bare steel is going to feel in a bare hand on a cold day. Pretty much mandates that you wear gloves to use it. Of course, if you are like me and your fingers start getting numb at about 40° because of the number of times I frost bit my hands sledding as a kid, it won't matter much.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

I like the blade, but if you use that knife any length of time , say hacking up a pile of fire wood , or cutting tent poles. Your going to have badly blistered fingers! Any thing your chopping with needs smoothness think axe or machete handle. Just my 2cents

www.hoyfamily.net

Isa 54:16 Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy.Lu 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Mr 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

That's a nice looking camp knife, put up the pics with the new handle.