The Pattern welded Brookfield long seax

The blade is right around 18" the fittings are made of brass with Moose antler and curly maple the blade is 7 bar composit done atthe brookfield craft center hammer in as a demo, 7 layer straight 4bars- 7layer twist 1 7 layer straight and the edge is a 25 layer twist. the 7 layer bars are 1095/ 15n20 and 4340the edge bar is L6/1095it can very close to riping it's self apart in heat treat...

This one is entered into an art show in guilford CT and will be available for sale after I complete the sheath opon it's return.

let me know what you all think!

MP

lang seax1.JPG

langseax2.JPG

langseax3.JPG

langseax4.JPG

langseax5.JPG

Thanks Guys!

The scrolls are an extension of the tang. I did cheat a bit, I lap welded a piece of 1018 on the end of tang this soft mild steel work hardens much slower and can be cold worked. once I hade it welded and after I had the grip roughed out. I split the end of the tang to about 3/8 into the grip and forged the split section into tapers (I had about 2" extending past ) after I had the grip finished and everything ready for assembly I glued it up and set the two hard bends cold to pull the handle tight (kind of like peening the tang) I then used a small jewelers torch to get very localized heats and forge the scrolls the last 2 or 3 turns were done cold to prevent burning the antler. I did scorch a small section but luckily it was in a section that was easily repolished to below the burn.

Love it! The tang idea is really quite ingenious. Glad the edge held in there B)

John

It wasn't the edge that was the worry but the spine.... I think I nailed the heat treat on it, it grabbed in the buffer when I was buffing the scrolls and went flying in to the floor point first removed a 3/8 or so deep puck from the concrete.... the point was slightly dulled ....I checked after I changed my shorts....

Woow that's terrific!! Love the antennae and the pattern weld :D

that is a fine one. creative, and the antler and curly maple go well together. The L6 1095 combo is rare, for obvious reasons. I am glad it didn't warp all to heck or crack on you.

really high in coolness, too.

Beautiful blade and the tooling on the brass adds a nice touch - everything works great together.