Name Changes?

J.Arthur Loose

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

Could you please change my name to Herb Kettell. Thanks ~Herb

The few surviving Samurai survey the battlefield.

Count the arms and legs and heads and then divide by five.

TMBG

Would you please change my name to "Hogan Baker".

Thank you

Thanks!!

Edited by Hogan Baker

"Stale water is poor drink. Stale skill is worse. And the man who walks in his own footsteps only ends where he began."

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if I could posibly get my name changed to C.Edmondson, I thought it might be a good idea since I put that on my blades, I apologize if its any inconvience but I would really appreciate it, Thanks and Godbless,CHarlie

• 1 year later...

Don,

Sorry, but I did not read the naming guidelines you posted prior to creating my account.

Out of politeness to the other forum users, would you please change my name to Dan Hurtado?

Thank you.

- Dan Hurtado

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I realise you've wanted people using there real names for the forums but I'm still kind of wary of spreading that information around, could I instead have my name changed to my businness name "Ignis Forge"? I'm no spammer and have accounts with ebay and Iforgeiron.com under the same name. Besides my current I.D. is fake. I do enjoy the forums and will be willing to change to a real name if necessary.

Thanks Alan Longmire!

Edited by Ignis Forge

IgnisForge@live.com

I.F. workshop

Ignis Forge

Curently looking for plans to make a gravity knife, please

contact me if you have any.

• 3 months later...
Guest Derek Sturm

Wow Cool! Could You change my name (and sign on) to " Derek M." Please?

Apologies, I mean who the heck has a last name "Sturm"

It's rediculous...

Atleast it's not "McLovin'" stupid movie anyhow. :lol:

Dang, hope I don't get "banned" for asking though...Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I hope I don't end up looking like an old fogie for saying this but It looks to me like more "made up" names are creeping in.........

one of the really good things about this place is that real people have real names it is very , very important and is one of the things that seperates this haven from the rest ...........

much respectfully Owen

forging soul in to steel

owenbush.co.uk

Don was right on the money when he set up the forum using real names. The Bladesmith world is a small one, most of us know one or the other in real life, not just on the internet. I understand some people not wanting to use their real names but in the end this is a "Professional" forum set up as a courtesy. With the forum growing even larger we are certain to go through some growing pains, this should not be at the expense of our long established and well thought out rules for membership and posting.

We can change anything about your login, just let one of us (the mods) know what you want your login name to be. You have a login name and a display name. The display name is the one that matters to us. B)

Somehow I missed the need to join with your real name. I’m not really Red Green but I do like duct tape and I had red hair when I was younger, does that count? I’d liked to be called rich,,, but it won’t happen unless I win the lottery ’bud-a-bing’….. (Note to self, your delivery sucks, work on the timing) so I suppose my name; Robert Suter, will have to do. Thanks for letting me slide Sir Longmire, interrogatory, does protocol require knife peons to use the knightly Sir to the members of the right and honorable Fiery Beards?

justbecause.jpg

Robert, I let you in because I like Red Green, as if that's his real name too. ;) I knew you weren't he, but you caught me in a good mood so I gave you a chance.

No need to call us "sir" unless one of us gets a knighthood, either. :lol:

The real name thing was missed by a lot of people when Don first started asking for it back in 2006. The new forum board took over last June, and I didn't modify the login screen to demand it in giant red letters until the spamstorm of a couple of months ago. Any fake names that have gotten in in the last month or two have been because they've emailed me first. Every day I delete a few applicants who ignore the huge red type on the application page. It's an IQ test now. B)

I get emails from time to time complaining the login system is broken because "I replied to the login email and used the right code but I still can't get in." When I ask what username they wanted, it's always something obviously fake. :rolleyes:

IF folks ask nicely to be allowed to use a fake screen name for whatever reason I'll let them in as long as it's not an offensive or overly stupid name. I don't understand it, and I won't let any truly ridiculous names (the kind that show you're 14 and spend all your time in the basement playing video games) on the forums, but if someone really insists on being seen as a lesser entity here via assumed names I'll let 'em.

We do allow folks to use their business name, as in "so-and-so forge," since that's kind of a real name. Unless I think it's a silly name, in which case they don't get in. :lol: There's also some folks using assumed names here who have done so since the internet really took off in the mid-90s, so everyone knows them by their screen name in addition to their real name anyway. That's fine with me.

Some real names from other parts of the world than North America and Europe can look odd to me, so I take extra care with those to figure out who is real and who is not. EVERY applicant gets an IP check. When we were getting up to 150 spam applicants per day I couldn't do that, so there was much wholesale deleting of accounts that might have been real. We've added a few new anti-spammer features since then, so now we get two to six applicants per day. Those I can check on.

We are very proud of this forum, and of the people who contribute to it. We welcome everyone from beginners to masters. We just ask that everyone be professional about things. Unlike many knife-related boards, everyone here is expected to actually DO the things they talk about. When Don set up this forum, it was mostly shared amongst a small community of folks who knew each other from various hammer-ins. You pretty much had to know someone on the forum to get in. Over the years word has gotten out that this is THE best place to discuss actual bladesmithing on the 'net. Thus, as Bryan said above, the growing pains.

Incidentally, Bryan didn't register under his real name at first, but within a very short time he realized why we do things the way we do here and had it changed. Heck, when I myself signed up it was as Alan L. I asked Don to change it to my full name when one of the other longtime members mentioned the respect using one's full name shows. Take a look at this whole thread to get an idea how many people have arrived at the same conclusion. B)

I continue to let in people who only use part of their real name because I understand that the rest of the internet works under assumed names and it can take some getting used to to use real names. I also know that people are constantly told not to put personal information on the web for fear of identity theft. That's fair enough, but a name alone probably isn't going to hurt anything.

Thanks for understanding, everyone. :)

Alan,

you are holding fort in a real Bastion of the internet .and I for one salute you .

there is no doubt that the people of this wonderful forum make this the place it is . A big factor has to be the accountability of real names . I am very proud to have met many of my good friends through this place. Real people who have become real friends.

this is a"real" community . real people from all over the world united by by a common passion . it is serious and wonderful and humorous and "REAL"

forging soul in to steel

owenbush.co.uk

What Owen said.

And whilst I'm here any chance I can become Martin Austwick?

Thanks

Oz

Happiness is waiting there in front of you. Only you can decide whether or not you choose to experience it. Take this to heart. - Toshitsugu Takamatsu

English Martial Arts