The Venturi effect is quite impressive. It blows more than you need when the damper is wide open. The only reason to use a blower would perhaps be a more accurate control of air flow, not additional power.

• Like 2

Just now, Joël Mercier said:

The Venturi effect is quite impressive. It blows more than you need when the damper is wide open. The only reason to use a blower would perhaps be a more accurate control of air flow, not additional power.

Joel, always the voice of reason and sanity.  Thanks.

Warner

Got a little more done after work today.  I borrowed a tap from work today and got the larger brass pipe tapped inside so the smaller one threaded into it.  I also tapped the brass cap for the mig tip to screw into.  That one isn't exactly straight....not sure how much that will affect anything....one of you experts can chime in.   I also tapped the black pipe T and cut a cover out of an electrical box cover, which had the added advantage of having the correct thread screw on it already - bonus.  I need to find a suitable spring for that, but that's no big deal.  here's a couple of pictures from tonight's work:

burner inside.jpg

Intake cover closed.jpg

Intake cover open.jpg

Well, I got the burner done today.  Because I had to use so many bushings on the one side, I was concerned that the MIG tip wasn't far enough from the vent opening to work as well as it could, so I replaced the 4" brass pipe with a 6" brass pipe, which puts he MIG tip 2" further down the pipe, away from the vent.  I didn't test it with the 4" brass pipe, but I think it was the right move.  Here's how far it goes now with the 6" pipe"

burner with 6 inch pipe.jpg

Looking good.

Open the damper a tiny bit and should look like a supersized pencil torch with a reasonably defined blue cone.

What size propane tank are you planning to use with the final setup?

(The barbecue tank will freeze over after about 30 min of forging.)

James

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, James Spurgeon said:

Looking good.

Open the damper a tiny bit and should look like a supersized pencil torch with a reasonably defined blue cone.

James

Good call, James.   

And yeah....I was planning on using the propane tanks that I have, at least initially. 

4 hours ago, James Spurgeon said:

Looking good.

James

I used mine for over an hour and half without a hickup. The tank was cold but it was fully functional. I never attempted forge welding temperature yet though...

• Like 1