danpiotte

Wheeler's Steel...great thread on another forum

Hello All,

First things first, I have already cleared this with an admin and I felt it belonged here so everyone could benefit,not just the beginners.

That being said, there is a great thread on another forum called

Wheeler's Steel Stuck in the Metal With You

When you google it you have to put in the whole title or else you get links to the song.(for those of us old enough to know the song)

This thread is some 26 pages long and one of the best tutorials I have ever seen. The techniques and jigs presented are incredible. The photos are well done and show what needs to be shown. The level of craftsmanship and care are masterful. The total amount of information is staggering. I am running out of large adjectives. This is a resource not to be missed.

For those of you who know of him, David Darom offered to make it in to a book. That should be enough of a recommendation.

Hope you will all explore this and benefit.

Daniel

I've read it. Three times. I've also saved all pertinent information/pictures in regards to useful tools and jigs, along with various related methods. There's dozens. Some don't apply to my current tooling and/or methods...but all have given me a bit more insight into a better/different way of doing things. Nick and Lorien really, really did the knifemaking community a huge service with that thread. Its definitely worth the read...

...at least three times.

Hi fellas!

First off, thank you so much for posting a link to that epic thread!

Unfortunately, a forumite on the other site derailled things substantially and in order to defend the thread from the pending dogpile, I had to close it. It would've been my preference for it to have remained open, since every comment brings it back up, allowing more people to be exposed to it. But...forum antics being what they are... :rolleyes:

At any rate, I hope the thread proves helpful. That was always the intention.

Thanks again for perpetuating it here :D

Any idea how that edge tool is used correctly? the one that looks like a tuning fork (more or less) as well where i can get an thickness scribe like that?

Sean,

I know Riverside Machine sells a simple center scribe... Google them, and see if that helps...

In regards to the tutorial, the level of attention to detail described in that thread were the primary inspiration for taking this.craft seriously. Mr. Wheeler's work and Mr. Arnold's passion for knives are two of my personal sources of inspiration, and I aspire to that level of craftsman... 9,300 more hours to go...

Edited by Nate Bocker

Wow, that was incredible. I was not expecting anything near that level of detail. Epic thread hardly begins to describe it. I think I'll need to read through that a half dozen more times. Very well done, what a valuable resource!

John

Sean,

I know Riverside Machine sells a simple center scribe... Google them, and see if that helps...

In regards to the tutorial, the level of attention to detail described in that thread were the primary inspiration for taking this.craft seriously. Mr. Wheeler's work and Mr. Arnold's passion for knives are two of my personal sources of inspiration, and I aspire to that level of craftsman... 9,300 more hours to go...

Thanks man, that's very kind of you to say :)

Well I found this last night and it took me almost 13 hours to read the entire thread . Yes All of it ! I have had an account over on the site and lost my computer shortly after i set it up and did not get to read all of it back then or follow it to the finish . I am thankful for the opportunity to be able to see it again and finish reading it . it is one of the best How to Do it threads i have ever seen for both old and new Smiths. if all smiths took this level of commitment to the craft of knife making our Blacksmithing and knife making would be a lot better today. Thank you Mr. Wheeler and Lorien for sharing this life changing experience with the rest of the Community.

Best Regards & Prayers sent to you both.

Sam

I know i have a lot of work to do after reading just halfway through this tutorial, especially when it comes to tooling. I have been making knives the wrong way round and learned a lot from this tutorial especially about detail work. Gotta build me a vice system like that, the sanding fixture with support, and the adjustable support screws is pretty brilliant, as is the base system for it.

I have been doing a lot by eye, and have turned out ok results, but this should help me turn out great work. Stil gotta ask, exactly how the edge straightening tool is used. is it forced vertically down on the edge? then hammered along it to straight the whole thing?