06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

This seax represents a blend of styles and materials, hence its name.
The blade is 17 inches overall. 10 and 1/2″ for the cutting edge and 6 and 1/2″ for the handle. A bit over 1 and 1/2″ wide at its swell. A little over 1/4″ thick.
The steel was a mix of old and modern steel. From the spine to the edge there is a stack of a wrought iron straight bar, a torsion bar made from homemade iron smelted from two different ores: a high phosphoric iron ore and high nickel iron ore, another bar of wrought iron with a wolf teeth pattern and a modern piece of 1075 steel for the edge. These different metals were chosen by their properties. The torsion bar made of high P and Ni will create a nice black and white contrast. The wrought iron is softer to deform in order to create the wolf teeth pattern and the 1075 has low manganese and therefore I was able to use clay during the hardening process to create a hamon following the wolf teeth and creating the illusion of the teeth dripping blood.
The handle is again a blend of many materials and traditions. The core wood is African blackwood which has been carved and in-let with bone also carved with representative beasts: a lion, a wild boar and dragons. There are metals 3 metal fittings including a central ring, a ferrule and a butt-cap made from shibuichi, an alloy of silver and copper patinated using the niage solution from the Japanese tradition and all of them are engraved with a vine motif. A tooled leather scabbard completes the blade.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o

I have never actually experienced my jaw dropping before, but when I opened this thread, I was so taken with the design and character shown in the photos, I think I just might have!

John

that is an outstanding piece of work

That's a perfect blend of historical influences and creativity! I like it a lot. Eventhough it's a mix of influences, it seems like everything belongs together. And I wouldn't be surprised if you've set the beginning for a new trend with the bloody wolfteeth :)

Happy to see you explore the sax with a personal voice. Well done Jesus!

Everything comes together nicely, as many have commented on all ready. My favorite part is the torsion bar however. There is something with the way you did that pattern that really works for me.

I look forward to see more of the traditional germanic blades coming from you.

I love this! The proportions are excellent and the bloodly drips of hamon off the teeth are awesome. I am also surprised by the amount of contrast you got in the bloomery steel twist :)

Fantastic work on the seax. The handle and the pattern welding set each other off. I like the sheath too but all that basket weave lacing must have taken forever with having to pull the lace through the holes a second time.

Doug

Thank you, guys. Your comments are very much appreciated. I'm glad I did not offend any one with my particular take on this blade.

It took just about all my knowledge in polishing to get the right contrast between wanting to show the hamon and the pattern-welded metal.

Here is a pic of the blade with only the traditional Japanese polish.

IMG_4777.jpg

And here is a picture of the torsion bar as seen from the spine of the broken back for you Peter.

IMG_4773.jpg

Haha BRAVO! Fantastic love the inlay and carving..ESP the boar and the work that has gone into the sheath...tonight I raise my glass to you Mr Hernandez!

I'll send you the medical bill for having my jaw reattached :lol:

This is amazing, Jesus.

Alan, I'm just waiting for your payback. :P

Rob, please don't mister me, I'm not that old yet.

John and Freya, I'll send you some glue to reattach your jaws but I'm not paying any bills. :D

That is some outstanding craftsmanship, everything on it goes so good together .