The Chimera Seax: Introducing the dripping blood wolftooth pattern

I love the use of black wood and white bone looks fantastic and mirrors the contrast in the blade!

The bone in lay is my favorite part though, did you just glue it in or is there some dove tailing going on there??

wonderful piece .

Can we see the top of the but cap it looks like an interesting engraving

Edited by Geoff Hardy
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wake up this morning and think I'll check the board... I see Hernandez, so I know it's gonna be good. A Note to others. Do not have your mind blown before having coffee, All this is too much to comprehend this early. Now all I'm gonna do all day is complain that I have a job with no free time to make anything like this.....

Oh well. DAMN GOOD JOB JESUS! AS USUAL!

Very good Jesus. Lovely theme throughout. I'm glad to see that you will continue to pursue this genre. I still continue to use skills that I learned from your Blue Ridge stuff...

What a fantastic piece Jesus! I love the braided sewing on the sheath. :)

With what did you carve in those decorations on the fittings, a dremel tool? Or did you do it by hand with a little steelchisel?

Jasper

Jesus not sure what to say that hasn't been said. Awesome work man, I would love to see that one up close!!! Any chance you will be a Bowies in October?

jesus - you really have a lot of inspiration flowing lately. It is nice to see. It seems you are trusting yourself and letting your work be a tribute to various forms without being limited or controlled by them. I admire this.

plus, the work is just cool.

It's all been said. All I can do is add my sincere "WOW". The first thing that popped into my head was, "Jesus. . . errrrr. . Jesus" :wacko::huh::D

Awesome piece of work. It is good to see you making blades of the ancient northern European style, your aesthetic and craftsmanship go well with it.

Chimera is the only word to describe that seamless fusion of styles and techniques; Aptly named indeed!

I doff my hat to you and eagerly await your next masterwork.

James

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I keep coming back to this, Jesus. I don't know why, except it keeps pointing out my own inadequacies in the craft. It's not just a skill thing, I know that comes with time and practice, but you posess a supreme level of attention to detail I struggle to keep up with. I also commend your ability to make exactly what you had in your head, which I also contend with (though I'm getting better). This is easier for me with monosteel, but multi-bar construction still vexes me, getting from design, through manufacture, to finished piece so clean and precise.

I was being serious. I've made enough attempts at this to know that it doesn't come out looking that good, unless you've done your homework and followed a good design. You deserve the compliments.

I've been off of the forum for a few weeks. WOW! Jesus, this is really, really nice.

I love the creative interplay of different styles. The blade seems to have a story behind it. I love the ornamentation. It hints that its charged with a symbolic meaning that makes the viewer immediately interested in learning the blade's mysteries and examining it in further detail.

Using a hamon to achieve the dripping blood effect was inspired. You're one of the few people who could pull that off!

Cheers!

Dave

• 4 weeks later...