So I built myself a forge a few months ago and I've finally gotten around to making the burner. Ive done copious research on LP and burner designs and such, but I figured I'd post a picture of it here, just in case someone sees a giant red flag that I don't and gives me a DEAR GOD DONT DO IT. I plan to test the burner tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes. Pic is attached, the nozzle part goes in the larger, longer pipe (if it wasn't obvious).

Thanks!

Justin

1040794_10151478482406437_1227392212_o.jpg

"I'll test it out tomorrow"

The last words of Mr. Mitchell. :P

As far as I know, looks like you did a good job! Is the burner to be lit with a lighter or open flame, or is it self-igniting?

If it doesn't work to your expectations there is a book by Michael Porter about $20.00 from Amazon.

Ha, yeah I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. It will be flame lit. My biggest worry is that I got a propane line with a built in regulator. I was under the impression that the regulator would actually let me CONTROL the psi output, but I guess not. It says it's made for grills and such, so I'm assuming/hoping its somewhere between 5 and 10 psi. If not, I'll have to get another hose. If so, my forge chamber is pretty small, so I should be fine. I'll keep you guys posted.

Can't wait to bang some metal!

Justin

As a point of reference, in my small propane forge I usually run it at around 2.5 psi. 10psi is above what I run at welding heat. I don't see anything wrong, just be sure to double check the fittings for leaks before something catastrophic can happen :)

John

Ummm, is it just me, or am i missing something? I don't see where the air is going to enter for the venturi effect. If the gas side fittings, the MIG tip, will enter the iron cap and be held with a set screw, there should be an air inlet somewhere there? The fitting at the end should be a "T" instead of a straight coupler. Again, i might be missing something.

Dan

Tested the burner today. The only leak I had was in the propane line I'd purchased, which was ultimately the cause for the failure as well. The attached regulator kept the propane psi so low it didn't even register at ALL on the gauge. I've already ordered a new line with an adjustable regulator, I'll try again when that comes in.

John, thanks for the reference point! I guess I figured somewhere between 5 and 10 would be good, but I'll start from 1 and see how it goes.

Dan, you aren't missing anything. I drilled three holes in the shorter pipe to let in oxygen. They are BEHIND the MIG tip nozzle, as I assumed that made the most sense. Each hole is 1/4" or so, and I'm not sure if that will be enough oxy or not, but I figured it's worth a shot. If that doesn't work, I'll try more holes. If that still doesn't work, I'll switch out that shorter 3/4" pipe with a T and hose in a hairdryer or something. Also, I think I'll research this venturi effect. That could help too.

The burner did exactly what I wanted, minus the actual psi output, so once I get that sorted, I should be good to go. Can't wait to get my forge working! Thanks for all the replies and comments and such. I'm brand new to this whole thing but I've done a collective 500 or so hours of research over the past few months. I've wanted a forge since I was 11, no time like the present!

Justin

I redid the pipe as the Venturi Burner thread showed and it works wonderfully! I'm setting up the forge now, I'll post pics when it's done!