Tommy NcNabb Hydraulic Press

• 3 years later...

Hey - I was wondering if your hydraulic press is still available. I'm trying to get into bladesmithing, but funds have been limiting my ability to purchase equipment. I've been hoping to stumble across a used one in good condition, and I am very interested in yours. Please let me know as to whether it is still available.

You did see that the post was from 2013?

Geoff

Yes, I did. However, I've been struggling to find equipment that isn't absurdly expensive. I am attempting to enter the hobby of knife making, and funds have been extremely limiting to me. I am fairly young, and I live somewhere where blacksmithing as a hobby is unheard of, so I have found it challenging to convince my parents into helping me start; any deals I can find, even from 2013 :) , would put me a step closer to being able to pursue my interest. My apologies, Geoff, if that is idiotic, but I have always been fascinated by knife making and I am doing everything I possibly can to enter this hobby field. :(

Matt I'm also fairly new here. I would skip on the expensive and bulky tools such as a press and power hammer and work on your skills with just a hammer. Putting out thousands before your sure your going to love it is a risk. There is plenty of things you can also build yourself check the beginner's section and tools. I only have a few hammers, tongs, and a stump anvil from old world which I really love (much better than the peiece of track I started with). I am currently waiting on date to pick it up but did make my first large purchase which is a 1hp 2x48 grinder. Good luck and lots of success.

I will ask this again, where are you? Smiths are like mice, or spiders. We exist in little pockets, here and there. If we knew where you are, we can probably hook you up with some contacts. I agree with Scott, hand tools first, keep your costs down. There is a certain kind of guy who thinks that he needs every cool tool and then finds that tools don't make the smith. I've bought a lot of tools, and often at pennies on the dollar, from those guys.

Geoff