Two New Alatalo Scandis - Pandora & Oceanis [IMAGE HEAVY]

Hello folks,

I've finished another two pieces to show you guys, the info is below.
Which one do you like best? ;-)
Enjoy!

Pandora

Blade: Mattias Styrefors blade with random pattern. Blade length approx 14cm.

Handle: Fossil mammoth tusk, box elder burl, moose antler and spalted maple. Bismuth crystal inlay.

Sheath: Rawhide leather sheath.

Total knife length is approximately 27,5cm.

pandora1.jpg

pandora2.jpg

pandora3.jpg

pandora4.jpg

pandora5.jpg

pandora6.jpg

pandora7.jpg

pandora8.jpg

pandora9.jpg

pandora10.jpg

Oceanis

Blade: Mattias Styrefors blade with star and explosion patterns. Blade length approx 12cm.

Handle: Fossil walrus tusk, stabilized mammoth tooth, muskox antler, amboyna, willow and moose antler. Inlay with chainmaille decoration.

Sheath: Rawhide leather sheath.

Total knife length is approximately 26,5cm.

oceanis1.jpg

oceanis2.jpg

oceanis3.jpg

oceanis4.jpg

oceanis5.jpg

oceanis6.jpg

oceanis7.jpg

oceanis8.jpg

oceanis9.jpg

oceanis10.jpg

oceanis11.jpg

*Me scrolling down* OOH!! I like Pandora!! *reaches Oceanus* O.O PREEEEEECIOUS!! Really, I cannot tell which one I like more.

Had to think for a while on which one I liked more. I'm going to go with the first, purely because the "random" pattern in the blade looks like leaves to me, and combined with the burl makes for an extremely harmonious whole. Regardless, stellar work on both! Whenever I see you've posted something new I always bring out my bib...

I swear when I get back to the states I'm printing out pictures of every knife you've shown us and pinning them up as as a reminder of what's possible. Might just give me a kick in the rear! B)

Thanks for all the kind words!

The crystal is firmly set, can't have it come loose or drop out of its place ;-)

Sorry, I meant is like caged, where it can still move around inside the setting but not come out, or just firmly braced?

Sorry, I meant is like caged, where it can still move around inside the setting but not come out, or just firmly braced?

Its not caged, the crystal has a really tight fit into the hole, and it is secured by an adhesive.

I dont go as far as to start making "jewelry-esque" cages etc, usually I can clamp the inlays under the encircling ring (as with the Oceanis, the wooden ring sits on top of the inlay), which makes it virtually impossible to get the inlay out without breaking everything apart.

Hope this clears out your questions! :-)

• 3 months later...

The last time you posted, Caleb stated that your posts are the reason he both hates and loves this forum... Make sense to me!!! Thanks...