Do you know the thickness right above the edge (thickness of the edge prior to sharpening)? 2.3mm is pretty thin, and almost laserish depending on who you ask, so it's kind of interesting that you find a previous one to cut better; how thin was that one?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know the thickness right above the edge (thickness of the edge prior to sharpening)? 2.3mm is pretty thin, and almost laserish depending on who you ask, so it's kind of interesting that you find a previous one to cut better; how thin was that one?

Initially I brought it down to at or slightly below .05mm right before sharpening. In trying to measure it with a digital caliper now, its reading in the .08-.12mm range.

This is the other one:

20130622_2059450_1.jpg

For comparison, the recent one is 2.35mm, 2.17mm, 1.16mm, and .5mm along the spine. 2cm above the edge the new one reads 1.92mm, 1.91mm, and 1.16mm.

Of the two, the other is more what I'd consider a laser type cutter. Cutting with it is pretty much effortless, almost anywhere along the edge from heel to tip. Though it is relatively flexible. This one takes more work (relatively) from heel to belly. It may be that once Son cuts with it...it gets thinned a bit more from 1cm above the edge to 2cm...from midblade back.

Guess we'll see :).

Edited by C.Anderson

Man that turned out Awesome . I just ordered a few New stones from the top link I am very impatient though I have to to get them they just Hit the USA in shipping I am very excited for my New Japanese Natural stones , it has been a long time for me to order and stones for Blade sharping . I have quite a few already both in Oil & water .

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Man that turned out Awesome . I just ordered a few New stones from the top link I am very impatient though I have to to get them they just Hit the USA in shipping I am very excited for my New Japanese Natural stones , it has been a long time for me to order and stones for Blade sharping . I have quite a few already both in Oil & water .

Sam

Thanks Sam! I have really been enjoying using the DMT diamond plates. I ordered the 8"x3" in extra fine and extra-extra fine. I also ordered 6, 3, and 1 micron diamond paste, and .5 micron spray. I made sprays out of the paste as well, and use them on industrial grade pieces of felt attached to a magnetic base. The base and felt are cut to the size of the diamond plates (you stick them to the plate to use them), so switching them out is easy.

Annnd, an update on my little gyuto! It made it safely to my friend (a professional chef) in New York City, and I'm proud to say his review was VERY positive! His main suggestion for improvement was to make the tip just a little more robust in thickness (as much as .2mm would have helped). Shortly after taking the picture below he chipped the tip off and put the tiny piece straight into his eye :l.

Not good!

Anyhow, here's the pictures he sent me:

1aac07cc-5852-4730-a6b0-b675455954dc.jpg
ba31d71e-16cc-48df-8d85-cca61772884d.jpg

That's 20lbs of onions, lol.

Anyhow, I'm hoping he'll use it until the middle of next week or so to test the edge retention, then it'll come back to me, I'll polish it out (and work out the tip!)...and off it'll go to my friend Jae! Edited by C.Anderson

Man that loos good Sorry to hear about the tip though and the eye .

again such a joy reading this thread and seeing your work in progress to finish .

Sam

wasn't using that eye anyway.lol

i'm not going to sharpen it all week and see how good the edge retention is. Right now the edge is at about 95% with 8 hours straight prep work. this thing is a cutting machine.

this is something that concerns me on ultra fine tips, so i either change the cutting angle to slightly reinforce the very tip, or else let the tip overheat on the final pass on the grinder to soften it back, so if it is dropped or gets used too aggressively on a steel or ceramic surface (some bad knife practise can creep in in a busy kitchen when everyones under the cosh) the tip will roll rather than chip...

I think it had a small stress crack. I actually was cutting cantaloupe with it, set it down and when I picked it back up I heard a small ping and was immediately punched in the eye. It happens, first time busting a tip on a knife in twenty years in the kitchen . I do know some guys , every knife they own is missing a few millimeters.lol

wasn't using that eye anyway.lol

i'm not going to sharpen it all week and see how good the edge retention is. Right now the edge is at about 95% with 8 hours straight prep work. this thing is a cutting machine.

Well, that's a relief then =p. I'm glad you're liking how it cuts! That was my first concern of course, with edge retention being a close second.

I never figured I'd have to be worried about projectile injury though, lol.

I think it had a small stress crack. I actually was cutting cantaloupe with it, set it down and when I picked it back up I heard a small ping and was immediately punched in the eye. It happens, first time busting a tip on a knife in twenty years in the kitchen . I do know some guys , every knife they own is missing a few millimeters.lol

I hate to be the cause of you breaking your streak lol. You'll have to get me a picture when you can.

Thanks again for taking this on for me. I'm really thankful to have someone who is willing to give me a brutally subjective review on my work! Too many people are overly concerned with feelings on this stuff. I'd rather have the truth so I can make the next one better :).

Guess who's getting the 330mm suji to try out first??

:D Edited by C.Anderson

this is something that concerns me on ultra fine tips, so i either change the cutting angle to slightly reinforce the very tip, or else let the tip overheat on the final pass on the grinder to soften it back, so if it is dropped or gets used too aggressively on a steel or ceramic surface (some bad knife practise can creep in in a busy kitchen when everyones under the cosh) the tip will roll rather than chip...

That's a good suggestion Jake. I've got to say that the tip really was just plain overly thin. It was actually difficult to sharpen properly due to the flex in the last 1/8". The next one will certainly have this issue corrected.

Oh, speaking of the next one...

c02aa8af-b452-4496-aba2-9edc07d11b1f.jpg

330mm cutting edge sujihiki. FUN, fun stuff :)

Edited by C.Anderson

Well, that's a relief then =p. I'm glad you're liking how it cuts! That was my first concern of course, with edge retention being a close second.

I never figured I'd have to be worried about projectile injury though, lol.

I hate to be the cause of you breaking your streak lol. You'll have to get me a picture when you can.

Thanks again for taking this on for me. I'm really thankful to have someone who is willing to give me a brutally subjective review on my work! Too many people are overly concerned with feelings on this stuff. I'd rather have the truth so I can make the next one better :).

Guess who's getting the 330mm suji to try out first??

:D

I put it on the diamond plate and re tipped it. going from the spine to edge instead of the other way. It is a little bit more reinforced as there is a little bit more material behind the edge now.

• 3 weeks later...

So...I have some good news, and some bad news. First the bad.

I got the knife back from Son late last week. The idea was to remove the handle (it was held in place with beeswax), repair the modified tip, repolish the blade...and get it sent off to Jae in Canada within the week. Unfortunately the temporary beeswax handle adhesive was a hell of a lot more thorough a mount than I expected, and I shattered the ferrule trying to remove it :l. Fortunately I already had some wild dyed and stabilized burl wood on standby, since a new handle is now in order. Also, given the things I've learned in the handles I've made since...it should come out much more streamlined, and in my opinion...beautiful :). Yes...that's a silver lining folks!

Here's the picture:

6cef0c03-4650-41b0-9741-9761b0154626.jpg

The good news is that the tip that broke off while Son was using it in New York took me about 90 seconds to fix on a coarse DMT diamond plate.

Here's some pictures of the quick repair Son made, and my reprofiling. First Son's repair:

ee4bcd2a-0f3e-4baa-80ab-c2879ec2a4fa.jpg

Next my reprofiling. You can see the resultant spine thickness in the second picture. Overall I feel much more secure with this result.

5c23a36e-4df3-459c-bb12-e42000dcb5e7.jpg

b136c95a-1d04-4740-9eb1-3e72a51347d2.jpg

I'll go ahead and repolish the blade (which by nature thins things a little, particularly on the tip) while waiting for the handle wood to come in. Once repolished I'll go ahead and put a nice new edge on it with a DMT extra fine, and extra extra fine (1200 and 8000 grit respectively), then strop with 6, 3, 1, and .5 micron diamond loaded felt strops. Then once the handle material gets here I'll do up a new handle, and off she'll go to Jae :).

I'll be sure to post more pictures as things progress lol.

Edited by C.Anderson
  • 11 months later...

So...I've been trying for about an hour to embed finished pictures of this knife (I don't know how I managed to forget for all this time!)...but I can't seem to pull it off for some reason.

I guess for now I'll just attach them at the bottom.

Thanks for looking everyone :).

20130908_143320.jpg

20130908_143350.jpg

20130908_143444.jpg

20130908_143518.jpg

20130908_143527.jpg

20130731_150101.jpg