My friend is in need of a new reenactment belt, and so I decided to learn a new technique - inlay. Many Great-Moravian buckles and strap ends were decorated using this technique, but so few reenactors today seem to care about that. These two pieces - the buckle and the strap end - are my first attempts. I had to do the strap end twice, since I wasn´t very happy with how the first one turned out... I also did the leather belt.

IMG_0014%20(1280x960).jpg

IMG_0015%20(1280x960).jpg

IMG_0017%20(1280x960).jpg

I am not familiar with the "Great-Moravian" period you are talking about reenacting. I am assuming it is Czech history. Perhaps you could tell us a little of the time period! I like the belt, buckle and tip. Please explain a little of what the buckle and tip are made from and how you did the inlay and the material used in both! I like how it all turned out and history always intrigues me!

Great job on this piece! As for folks not wanting to take the extra effort to get it right I do understand. We have reenactors that portray the history of our civil war of the great expansion of the west here in the US and most want to try and get the period equipment and dress correct for which ever period they are trying to portray! One big problem is our television and movies got it all wrong and that is what is stuck in a lot of people's heads when it comes to copying the dress and such!

That's really wonderfull work! did you teach yourself? It looks very well done. would you mind showing the tools you used? Thanks!

that must be one of the most beautiful belts i have ever seen,i can really imagine some wealthy moravian wearing something like this.

C. Craft - Sorry, my bad :( . Great Moravia (Magnae Moraviae) is indeed a part of Czech history, beginning in early 9th century and ending in early 10th... it was quite an empire for that age, I dare say as strong as the Franks in that time. There are some very nice and interesting knives, swords and belt garnitures that, if time and skills permit, I hope to recreate and show here :). Both the buckle and the strap end are mild steel with silver inlay... belt is cowhide, dyed red and darkened with hot lard...

Thank you all for your compliments :) !

Luke, I am so sorry, I completely forgot to reply! :unsure: Well, about the teaching - Petr Floriánek has made a tutorial in a pdf form a while back (it´s in CZ, dunno about Eng), plus I have seen him doing it a few times... and I also looked at Ben Potter´s page (at least I think it was that one...), Patrik Barta´s page, and a few other´s I can´t remember now :D

I will gladly post the tools, but before that, I need to regrind them, since they break off their tips quite easily.... it is a very special feeling when you´re left with a broken-off tip of the graver inside the groove and you don´t know how to get that bugger outta there :D

Inlay around a curve, or edge is tough. Well done.
keep it coming Ondrej. Moravian art is wonderful.

Mark

Edited by Mark Green

your skill set shows in this project and very well done at that . Nicely done

Thank you for sharing it with us .

Sam