Sign in to follow this  
Tiaan

Renaissance explorer

The profile of the knife is a copy of Bertie Rietveld's "Explorer". The blade was forged with the help of my good friend Tiaan Burger. Design, carving fit and finish took around 40 hours to complete.

Explorer.jpgCarvingtheexplorer.jpg

Oh wow, I love everything about this knife. I love the straight layers of Damascus on the spine. So awesome looking.

Ooh... Aah... Nice background. The knife is pretty awesome as well. Dang it! It is freakin stunning. I'm jealous. I need a hug.

I really love that! The sun's face is so compelling, like it's saying "Go ahead and explore, I'll light your way."

This one gets all available points for originality! I like it very much.

Thanks everyone for all the kind words. It was fun creating this piece and there will be more of the same in the future.

what is the stuff that the scales are one? is it for keeping the from sliding during the engraving?. love the look of the blade, scales are stunningly crafted.

That is Engravers Pitch in an engravers bowl. A rounded vessel containing thermo-plastic pitch. You heat it up with your torch to liquify the surface and embed your work. When it cools your work piece is held rigidly so you can work on it. Heat it up to release the work.

Aaah, what a beaut! Such gracefull lines, I think I'm also jealous! Thanks for the info Fox Creek, I was also curious...

Beautiful!

I find myself much attracted to the way you have married the sharp and crisp lines of this pice with the poetic decorative carvings.

Fine work! Inspiring!

Thank you for showing.

wonderful. I love the copper sun, and the pattern and finish on the pattern welding. The whole thing fits together well.

kc

Very cool little knife! The straight laminations and copper sun really set it off :)

Once again thank you for all the kind words. Receiving such positive comments from truly inspiring artist as what resides on this forum gives me courage to continue on this journey.

Thanks guys!!

Lovely piece... all perfect harmonized! Excelent idea, excelent execution.

...Hope I'm not hijacking your thread or anything, but the knife kinda reminds me of this song: