First post and first bowie

Well... This is my first post.

My name is Jesus Hernandez and I live in Huntsville, AL.

I got the bladesmithing bug a few years ago but was unable to do much about it until I realized what a propane forge is about a year ago. I have to thank Ron Reil for his very useful information about the process of making a freon tank forge. I then converted my garage into a shop of sorts and started hammering.

I also want to thank Walter Sorrels (he is a member of this forum as well) as he has been an invaluable source of information during the last year ("Sorry about the many questions by email, Walter"). Of course, I need to thank all of you guys for posting info out there on the internet (Don Fogg especially). That info has allowed me to make it through the difficulties of forge welding, heat treating and so forth. Many times I was about to quit it all out of frustration but little by little I have managed to overcome some of the difficulties.

By all means I am no expert. I have only been doing this in my spare time during the last year. I have made only a few blades. This is one that I feel proud of.

It is a welded cable bowie (steel cable gifted by Dale Baxter) with amboyna wood handle. It is the first bowie knife for me and I hope the beginning of many more.

Thank you for watching.

bowie.jpg

Man, Jesus, my early knives were nowhere near that good. Buenissimo, hermano: un cuchillo grande y hermoso.

YEEEE-HAW! If that's #1, you're going somewhere good and doing it fast. I miss the rockerdude smilie too, because I'd have used him here for sure!

what number blade is this for you Jesus?

looks pretty good.

right now im working on blade #2 and i think this one will be much better although I'm wierry of forging the blade any thinner than 1/4 cause the first blade cooled so rapidly that it cracked 1 inch from the tip when attempting to work it.

i think the tip of my new one is 3/16th at the least.

This is my first bowie. I have made 2-3 blades before by the stock removal method and about 3 tanto-like blades that were pattern welded. O those 3 only one made it without cracks at the quench. Prior to that I made a small dagger and a drop point skinner. That's about it. I will post some pictures of the tanto at some point.