Gregory Lirot

Anyone ever had a custom melt?

Pretty much what the title says. I am on the hunt for something like 52100 with .8% carbon (gasp! surprise!). It doesn't seem like this is available (5180 would make me happy too). I believe these exist as standard SAE alloys, but I have never seen them for sale. I just want something as tough and easy to heat treat as 5160 but with a wee bit better edge holding (and having actually worked L6 I don't like it that much, it just seems to warp on me or air harden at the wrong times, I don't remember if it was Crucible or Carpenter made).

Aldo @ NJ Steel Baron has it. Also a lot of the Toyo larger bearing races are made from it. I currently have enough races to make about 60 medium knives waiting to be pressed out and cut to size. It makes some pretty nice knives.

Edited by GBrackett

Aldo @ NJ Steel Baron has it. Also a lot of the Toyo larger bearing races are made from it. I currently have enough races to make about 60 medium knives waiting to be pressed out and cut to size. It makes some pretty nice knives.

L6 or 52100? I have used both somewhat and really just want something like 5180 if that exists.

whats your budget, because if it's not in at least 5 figures you are kidding yourself.

whats your budget, because if it's not in at least 5 figures you are kidding yourself.

Yeah thats what I was afraid of. I figured id be in the minimum of $3k range so Id need to convince lots of other people that the idea was worth while. :lol:

52100, never seen any 5180.

52100, never seen any 5180.

Nor have I except on an SAE data sheet, but if it were out in the wild it would be sweet.

If it can be found I would have to Agree Aldo is the one to contact as they state " If you need it and you can Not find it Call us " they have helped me many times find European Steel that I wanted, that BMW and Mercedes uses making their Leaf springs it is Extremely Tough to work with yet is a true pleasure for a blades I was asked to make for Customers that owned both cars .

Sam

1080+ might be just what you are looking for, it is very similar to 5160 but with .82% carbon....

1080+ might be just what you are looking for, it is very similar to 5160 but with .82% carbon....

Ooh, that looks like some good stuff! Not hamon material, but should be tougher than darnit with that chrome and vanadium.

If it can be found I would have to Agree Aldo is the one to contact as they state " If you need it and you can Not find it Call us " they have helped me many times find European Steel that I wanted, that BMW and Mercedes uses making their Leaf springs it is Extremely Tough to work with yet is a true pleasure for a blades I was asked to make for Customers that owned both cars .

Sam

Might be worth a try, I am hopefully headed to Jersey soon so I may pop buy and pester him.

That stuff is pretty much what I want, I wonder what type of soak it will need and if I can still use the slow oil (28 sec quench) I have been using.

Ooh, that looks like some good stuff! Not hamon material, but should be tougher than darnit with that chrome and vanadium.

Oh yeah!

Scroll down the page and they give HT information... :)

That stuff is pretty much what I want, I wonder what type of soak it will need and if I can still use the slow oil (28 sec quench) I have been using.

With the chromium and manganese I can't imagine it needed a radically fast quench. The only bad thing is limited sizes, and possibly limited stock. It would suck to fall in love with a steel, work out the perfect HT regime, and then not be able to buy more.... speaking of which, they also carry cruforge V.

Scroll down the page and they give HT information... :)

With the chromium and manganese I can't imagine it needed a radically fast quench. The only bad thing is limited sizes, and possibly limited stock. It would suck to fall in love with a steel, work out the perfect HT regime, and then not be able to buy more.... speaking of which, they also carry cruforge V.

I did, but I was wondering if you had first hand information. Not all oil is created equal and it may respond to triple quenching vs. triple normalizing etc. I may order a little bit of it or some 15N20 just to see how it works out.

Just because you see an alloy listed doesn't mean that anyone carries it and if they carry it, it doesn't mean that they will sell it in small quantities. Sort of what I ran into when Admiral stopped carrying 9260. The problem with AKS is that most of their steel is sized for the stock removal process in mind.

Doug

Just because you see an alloy listed doesn't mean that anyone carries it and if they carry it, it doesn't mean that they will sell it in small quantities. Sort of what I ran into when Admiral stopped carrying 9260. The problem with AKS is that most of their steel is sized for the stock removal process in mind.

Doug

Yeah that is the issue. The more research I do and the more I actually think about it the more I like the idea of just using 5160 and accepting a compromise. It seems like I can either get peak performance and a hurt wallet or very good performance and a mildly annoyed wallet.

You could always track down a school (university, etc.) that has a small-medium induction melting setup and ask if they can cast you some billets. Many professors like having a "real-life customer" situation for training students. Alternatively, a professional foundry may do it too. We have a 100 pound induction furnace and could easily hit "5180 specs", though we are not set up to cast billets. Someone out there (probably fairly close to you) could do it though. The small batches keeps the cost down a bit, but you'll have to keep in mind that it will not be rolled material. You will have to get fairly large stock (1"x1" would probably be the smallest I would trust) and work it down (work, not cut) to ensure enough grain refinement from the as-cast dendritic growth and segregation. Give it a good long soak above critical first too (the supplier could likely do it for you pretty cheap too, since they will be doing it to their own stuff anyways). Also understand that it will not be as clean as a large mill run. There is definitely going to be some inclusions and porosity. Starting larger will reduce this, and forging that down will reduce it even further. When I get my hydraulic press back up and working (reserve tank upgrade) I will test out a chunk of 1"x1" cast material that has been worked down, cross section, polished, and looked at in the microscope. Should be interesting and I'll let you know how it goes, but it could be quite a while (a month or so) until I can get the results.

Yeah, I actually go to a school that does casting, but they don't like cutlery on campus. Might be a good idea, thank you very much. It can't be as bad as my damascus though. :lol:

So the specs on the 1080+ from AKS is dead on for 80CrV2. I picked up a bit from AKS a while back and have made a couple of things from it. So far I like it. Aldo mentioned at blade that he was going to start carrying 80CrV2. I'm looking forward to seeing what sizes Aldo starts stocking.

So the specs on the 1080+ from AKS is dead on for 80CrV2. I picked up a bit from AKS a while back and have made a couple of things from it. So far I like it. Aldo mentioned at blade that he was going to start carrying 80CrV2. I'm looking forward to seeing what sizes Aldo starts stocking.

I noticed this last time I visited his page.... yes, very similar. Available in 2 thicknesses, thick and very thick...:)