This little axe has gotten me exited.....

Tis a simple thing really but I have been smelting a while now and while the smelt is a pleasurable undertaking chasing bloom into usable material has always been an unwieldy chore. So I have been filling my bloom shelf. Hoarding bloom in the reality that If I used the stuff I would be wasting time and that because it takes so much time to make stuff from it that I could never make anything I could reasonably sell (therefore wasting my time)...

anyhow a little while back I saw a post by Lee Sauder where he forged a whole bloom into a bar........."light bulb" moment......

so... you can forge a bloom into a bar ..... and make things from it.......WTF...JHM....BOY have I been missing the plot.

so I have been forging bloom into things .

This axe is forged from a mid steely bloom as the outer , consolidated but not folded, best side out. I then inserted a mid carbon bloom steel core that has been folded to 4000 layers and bingo an axe!!

the material is amazing, it welds so easily and forges so soft ,leaving no trace of weld lines.

Its as if the plain girl at the back of the class just shook her hair out and took her glasses off to reveal the girl I had always been in love with without ever knowing it.....

I made an axe so I can use it and abuse it and see the limits of the material , next will be a straight razor.....

so enough of that ... an axe!!

9455188667_5cb62ed47d_c.jpg

there are a couple of cracks near the top on this side. I had a few during the process and they welded in amazingly well, I kept these as a proof of material process.

9455188789_a5b8983e7c_c.jpg

close up of the edge hada.

9457969542_648fb50a96_c.jpg

JHM indeed !

no folding on the outer skin... just forged from bloom and then of course folded round on its self but apart from that ...... the edge is folded to 4000or so layers.

Awesome Owen!!!

I have tried three of these now, and broke two on the big turn, and the cracks went near through at the eye on the third, so I scrapped it.
I'm not getting enough heat. Time to rebuild all my forges again.
One day the axe will happen.

Great looking little axe!!

Mark

I have handled it and spent quite a bit of time chopping stuff....

my initial edge angle guess was a little obtuse so I narrowed it to what IO would normally put on a modern steel axe which was a little chippy on knots so I brought that backa little bit to where it could still shave after a couple of 2x4's.

my judgement is that the steel is not up to modern steel standards but does just fine , this will be my companion for a while. I shall play around with the heat treatment before my next blade with this steel.

anyhow here she is... (not so big looking now!!)

9461074848_d14d7f5027_c.jpg

and a close up of the end , no visible weld and you can see the extent of the bend cracking. I did quite a bit of forging the bend into its self rather than bending it if that makes sense...

9461077426_6b79aa90cf_c.jpg

Edited by owen bush

"Its as if the plain girl at the back of the class just shook her hair out and took her glasses off to reveal the girl I had always been in love with without ever knowing it....."

Glad the scales have fallen from your eyes- she is a little hottie isn't she! ;-)

well hell yeah! I like it. I am going to give a try with some of the bloom I have soon. looks great, and good insight.

kc

Nice! Is it made from the blooms we made at the class?

You can use that one to chop wood to make charcoal for your next smelt. Off course you will also have to make a pick axe from bloom that you can mine the ore. Now thats full circle ;)

You have seriously raised the bar with this one Owen I love it as does my youngest Girl age 7 though she is obsessed with Axes and Hatchets also. Well done Brother Owen your work is a true Insperation .

Samuel