Knives number 2 and 3 (Very image heavy)

Hi guys,

Here are my second and third knives ever made. They are also first two pieces ever made at "home front". Home front being my parents garage were I have 1x1 meter table and toolbox. Ah, the luxury :rolleyes:. I made them without powertools, except drill and self made "forge". So lots and lots of filing and sawing :wacko:

Everything is made from scrap pieces I found from garage and main point was to test techniques and practice workin on different materials.

I apologise the poor quality of photos in advance. Most of them are taken with my cellphone + I understand nothing about photographing.

Number two: Spring steel tanto-ish

A.jpg

rough grinded

D.jpg C.jpg

close-up of koiguchi and habaki

B.jpg E.jpg

F.jpg G.jpg

Saya and tsuka are made from plain old birch plank. Koiguchi, kurigata and kojiri are desert ironwood. Cord is cotton and that one i bought from online.

Number three: Spring steel... knife

This one I made for my dad as his 50th birthday present. I have no idea what style it might be. I was just pretty much banging away the steel and this is what came up. Im not very pleased with blade shape but overall package is quite pleasing.

1.jpg 4.JPG 6.jpg 5.JPG

2.jpg 3.jpg

Handle is made from brass, curly birch and mystery tree? maybe someone might recognize it and tell me what it is. sheath is birch covered with black tanned leather.

I must give special thanks to guy who made the tutorial for salt water etching on fits and finish. Everything worked exactly as promised, even with my improvised broken christmas light cord + 9v battery setting. Its just beautiful.

And thank you to everyone else who has ever written any instructions here. Everything I know about bladesmithing I have learned from this forum.

No power tools ! First second and third knife? I really need to quit! I cant wait to see what you can do with fancy tools ! must be somthing in the water there in finland! Temu the mystery wood looks like pipe briar.

grumbeling with Caleb!

Good grief, i have made quite a few knives, and they still don't look quite that good.

You are way too kind. I'm just showing the good side and deliberately hiding the flaws. Hoy, briar definitely looks like good guess. Hopefully I can find more of it somewhere, I really like the color of it.

In finland the problem is that getting special tools for bladesmithing etc. is really difficult at best and getting materials is next to impossible. Markets here are so small that pretty much everything I have bought for my future projects must be ordered from US or UK (and shipping fees are killing me :wacko:)

Edited by Teemu Maenpaa

Very well done!!! Side note I make most of my own shop equipment for lack of funds to purchase manufactured equipment. My grinder is made from a washing machine motor and scrap steel. The rest I do by hand. Ideas for tools are all over this forum. Best of luck and keep up the good work!!!

Kip

I will be the first to admit none of my First knives looked close to a Knife shaped object much less a knife or usable even your work inspiring . thank you for sharing

Samuel

• 2 months later...