Belt Grinder Purchasing help... Pheer Grinders?

I was wondering if anyone has used, owns, or knows of Pheer Grinders and can give me a review. I am a beginner and was looking at getting a Grizzly Knife Grinder but through much reading saw that most of you would say just save your money and buy nice equipment. So my question is, would my money be well invested in a Pheer Grinder?

Thanks again!

I got one. been using it for about 18 months now. You can see mine and read my first impressions here:

https://sites.google.com/site/vorpalcustomknives/shop-techniques-3/grinders/affordable-2x72-variable-belt-grinders-by-jose-navarro/a-review-from-george--tactically-sharp

I still like it. I talked to Jose about some upgrades earlier this month as the unit has improved quite a bit since I got mine. He still personally answers the phone and will spend a bit of time just shooting the breeze with me. For the money a great machine, great service, and a great guy. No I am not an employee or salesman for him. It's just a work horse and I like the sevice.

2x72Ginder-V01.jpg

I made my enclosure from a $5 storage bin from Wally World. My paint job too.

George

Matt,

Just trying to help. It has allowed me to build my skill set and save for a large unit. I hope by December to have enough saved to buy my dream machine. I will still keep this one as a backup and for my handle work.

Hope you enjoy your Phere as much as I enjoy mine.

George

The Coote is a nice grinder also. I didn't go with it because I wanted to have the ability to use more accessories. Check out all of these reviews and then think about what you may want to do. I needed as much versatility as possible and was not sure how long till I would be able to buy a main line grinder. Anything other than a KMG, TW90, Wilmont, etc is just a grinder to get you started. In the long run if you keep with it you will get a main line grinder. If you try one that time will come sooner than later.

https://sites.google.com/site/vorpalcustomknives/shop-techniques-3/grinders

This is the next one that I am buying:

TW90.jpg

Edited by GBrackett

lest not for get the Mike Cox Grinder (KMG Type) I built one with a ton of Mods to it .

http://imgur.com/BSMnVIc,Untvt0L,9Bv4Inb,e9gBa9M,TRNNnj2

Sam

Edited by Samcro

Sam,

That's one nice looking grinder. Can you give us a link where we can get more info on it. My neighbor is currently looking for a grinder and I would like him to see all that is available.

Thanks,

George

Matthew,

Very good point! I have a problem with my hands after many years of computer work and I need a modified platen. Jose did it for me after I used the grinder for about 2 months. The price was extremely fair as is the price he is charging me for the mods to my current unit.

Edited by GBrackett

Thats a huge commitment for 3400 plus shipping! For that money 3 or 4 grinder frames could be built and thats even if your using all aluminum.just saying that as far as bang-for-buck goes you could be a lot happier with several grinders ready to go with different set ups than with one machine that does different things. I know that most ppl want something that ready to go out of the box but after having spent that much youll soon realize that you kind of regret spending all that money when they see how simple the design is. And they wouldve more enjoyed haveing a whole shop full of dedicated machines that can be built for much much less.

Edited by davidmw

I paid under a $1000 for my Pheer with shipping and all the mods I asked for. Their not much more today. The Coote & Grizzly don't cost that neither.

Edited by GBrackett

After using it in several ABS classes I know what I want. It will be closer to $4300 plus shipping as I want it. The grinder is rock solid and has a surface grinding attachment. A decent surface grinder would cost that alone. It's like you do not know the value of a Lexus until you try and then own one. You nearly always get what you pay for. I got my Pheer to start with as I did not own a grinder. I realize that it was my entry point, like when you but your first new car. That car fulfills your immediate needs. My Pheer has done that and more. As one grows more into something their viewed needs change, and if you plan to upgrade & can afford it get best you can. I tried several different grinders at the school and my grinding improved with this grinder were it did not as much with the others. Believe me if I had not seen the difference I would not be buying it. I'm waiting for December because that's when the new shop will be ready.

Here is what I started out with :

http://www.metalwebnews.com/manuals/knife-grinder.pdf

Also sold here with a few mods done from the original prints :

http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=3 ( not where I got mine I built mine )

there price is a bit higher then what I have in mine however they are still the preferred KMG Grinder for a Blade maker.

Sam

Thank you guys very much for your thoughts. It's been super helpful. I'm with you George. One of the main reasons I couldn't justify purchasing a grizzly was the inability to manage different functions with different accessories. I want to purchase something that will give me a wide range of use.

Matthew,

If you are starting out & want to save on belt cost and realize later on you will want a heavier grinder the Pheer will work for you. I have a small wheel adapter that a friend gave me for it with a 3/4" wheel, that with the flat platen is what I use mainly today. If you decide you need a large wheel try to get a 10" one. I use a friends 8" and believe a 10" would work better.

If you get the Pheer give Jose my regards. I don't think you will regret it, I don't.

George

George,

Thanks for helping me reason through my purchase. I've already been in contact with Jose and I'm pretty sure I will be placing an order for the PH427 with the flat platen and 8" contact wheel.

Matthew,

Ask him to throw in a spare tool arm. That way you have it and when you are ready you can source a small wheel adapter.

George