"What if?" has lead me into more trouble than I care to remember, but it such a fun game: "What if Thor had a folding knife?" has lead to this:

Folding+seax.jpg

13" open, pattern welded blade consisting of a W2 edge, four twisted bars, tripple braid and a spine. Inlayed copper fittings and blackwood.

I started carving the first bolster this morning:

Folding+seax1.jpg

Folding+seax2.jpg

I am still in two minds about the pommel end, should I add a cap?

• Like 1

Wow. Man, your work amazes me every time.

"What if..." ranks right up there with "Hey watch this..." in terms of risk potential. :D

Nice concept!

Well executed thus far as well, I like.

James

Cool! B)

I think a simple strap and ring such as Petr uses would really set it off on the pommel end.

Alan, I was thinking of putting a ring on the bolster, so it can hang from the belt without inadvertently opening. Putting a strap on the pommel end will be tricky, but it will be done, thanks for the input.

Thank you all for the feedback, it is always a pleasure to show something on this forum.

The work on this knife came to a standstill as I got fed-up with my pitch bowl with did not want to stand at a suitable angle to work the curves on the bolsters. I found a larger bowl, melted the lead from the first one I made and added another 8 lbs. Hopefully this will prove heavy and stable enough. I will post some pictures on Thursday...

I knew that eventually someone would make a folding seax... the shape is perfect, the fittings very cool, and I know the carving will be excellent.

I look forward to seeing this one finished.

I fitted the strap on the pommel end on Wednesday. It was extremely tricky due to the handle widening towards the end. The only way I could see to fit the strap was to cut the recess first, then fit the strap. As the fit got closer it became a problem to get it off to do the filing. After four three hours of exasperation I finally got it in place.
Yesterday was not a good day, I did not get to do much on the folder.
This morning I continued with the carving, cutting borders on the bolsters and the strap. At this rate it will for sale within a week. I brushed on some very diluted potassium polysulfide (liver of sulphur) solution and gave it a light rub with a scotchbrite pad prior to taking the photos.

Folding+seax4.jpg

Folding+seax5.jpg

this will seem like a silly question, but what the heck...

when you were carving the hammer, after you got the lines set for the handle, how did you remove and flatten the area between the raised parallel sides? Getting the background of a relief flat is the hardest part for me, right now.

Hopefully, I am doing something wrong.

kc

oh yeah, and I really think this is a great knife. I especially like the way the inlay blends with the bolsters. I am a sucker for copper, every time.

Kevin, to answer I will start with a photo of the chisels I use for this knife:

Japanese+Metal+Carving+Tools.jpg

The scale is cm / mm. I start with one of the square chisels to define the edges of the design. (2nd group from the left).

Then I use the round ones on the left to lower the background.

The background is flattened with square chisels and the flat chisels with a round back. I use a V-chisel to clean up the bottoms of inside corners.
Rounding and refining I do with the round backed flat chisels.

A scraper ( far right) gets most of the chisel marks level on the carving.

There are a couple of tricks to further refine a background or surface:

1. Texturing as I have done on the back-strap / pommel, using an appropriate punch.

2. Planishing using a punch with a polished face

3. Rubbing with a hardened, polished steel (The correct term has escaped me.)

Hope this was of help.

this was lots of help. Thanks. I am shaping some gravers to fit into my hammer handpiece, and I had the flat chisel shape, but not the rounded ones.

I appreciate the detailed answer. I promise to put the information to good use.

kc

The last two photographs, showing the tab detail. A very happy customer bought the knife today, he promised to bring it back next week for some professional photos.

Folding+seax10.jpg

Folding+seax11.jpg