Scott A. Roush

The Boar-Spear of Cedric the Saxon

As I struggle with how to finish the bloomery langseax collaboration I've been slowly working on.. I decided to finally put to the anvil a project I've had floating around for the last couple of years. Something fun and easy... Cedric the Saxon's boar-spear. The book ‘Ivanhoe’ by Sir Walter Scott is one of those books that I grew up with and it probably had the greatest influence on my love of the Middle Ages. One character that always fired my imagination was Cedric the Saxon.. that surly old remnant of an ancient time. Cedric always had his boar-spear with him: “A short boar-spear, with a broad and bright steel head, also reclined against the back of his chair, which served him, when he walked abroad, for the purposes of a staff or of a weapon, as chance might require.” Ever since I’ve gotten into the smithing of blades I’ve wanted to recreate Cedric’s boar-spear. Not so much from a historical perspective.. but more how I imagined it growing up. My perception of it has certainly changed due to my increased knowledge of this time period.. but I still see it in a particular way: A short, heavy oaken haft dark and polished with use.. and long, broad bright blade. I’ve always imagined Cedric as a very practical fellow.. and not one to be caught up in airs so I’ve imagined the spear as well built.. but not necessarily fancy and ornate. A weapon and tool of USE.. something that you can depend on to do the deeds required of the situation. Something that creates a sense of wrongness when it is missing or not at hand. And oak was always in my head as the haft material.

The spear is forged from 5/8″ thick Aldo 1075. I plan to fully finish the blade and I'm hoping to get most of the socket seam welded and blended in for the final piece. The oak haft will be unadorned except for some kind of cap for the end (to allow Cedric to walk with it without eroding the shaft). I will probably also pin the spear to the haft with a long piece of iron to serve as a 'blade stop'..... for hunting purposes.

Anyway.. this project started when I was making firewood over the weekend. I came across a stout oaken branch in the wood pile.

IMG_3350.jpg

SAR0001.jpg

SAR0004.jpg

SAR0005.jpg

SAR0016.jpg

IMG_3406.jpg

Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

More pictures as I prepare the blade for grinding and heat treat...

By the way.. even though this is somewhat of a 'fantasy' piece... I'd be interested in making a somewhat accurate blade sheath for it. Does anybody have info on Anglo-Saxon sheath scabbards???

that is awesome

Awesome! It has a great balance to it, sort of the way I imagined the spears from another series I read in my youth. Now all you need is a boar to hunt B)

John

Thanks guys. This thing is starting to be my single favorite thing that I've made and I haven't even ground the bevels yet. So much of it is just plain solid. I've managed a really nice fit with the oak and the socket. The heft of the blade matched with the stout haft just makes for damn nice piece of existence. The height is perfect for grasping the throat and walking about. Damn... I wish I could keep this for myself. And oh do I regret not living in a time when it would have been perfectly normal to walk around town with a spear.

I love it, and the inspiration. You sure we aren't twins? :huh: There is something about a spear, isn't there? B)

I love it, and the inspiration. You sure we aren't twins? :huh: There is something about a spear, isn't there? B)

Well we both share a love for the long and pointy!

I like it...but...it's too skinny! :blink:

I always pictured the blade to be "broad" as a warrior's palm width, say 3.5 - 4 inches.

That is both the fun and hazard of creating something in corporeal form from the ether of a story. :rolleyes:

I look forward to seeing the complete incarnation! :P

James

Wonderful work. The great thing about being a smith is being able to bring something of those stories to life.

I like it...but...it's too skinny! :blink:

I always pictured the blade to be "broad" as a warrior's palm width, say 3.5 - 4 inches.

That is both the fun and hazard of creating something in corporeal form from the ether of a story. :rolleyes:

I look forward to seeing the complete incarnation! :P

James

Well it's all relative.... To me that thing is pretty broad. Stay out of my imagination! You might find Gwyneth Paltrow in there as the Lady Rowena too... but we don't have to go there. :D

Well it's all relative.... To me that thing is pretty broad. Stay out of my imagination! You might find Gwyneth Paltrow in there as the Lady Rowena too... but we don't have to go there. :D

I could go along with that, as long as James Purfoy gets the part of Ivanhoe. B)

This is absurd! That thing is huge! Its awesome. Scott Roush does what he wants.

Thanks Luke. We need to make another attempt to have throwing spears for my next hammer-in. Thanks Jake.. I'm glad you see that. I got most of the grinding done.. but then had to make a correction in the forge. But it is now thermocycled and ready for heat treat in the morning. I'm using my sword forge to make sure that the neck gets nice and hard. I already have one soft necked spear sitting around the shop. I will most likely continue the center grind line more towards the socket. I had to grind things flat enough so that I could get my mark on there... IMG_3472.jpg

Edited by Scott A. Roush

Awesome!!!

The spear is Queen of the battlefield.

Fine for little piggy's as well.

Love it!

There is something about a spear, isn't there?

Amen to that... epic is the word that comes to mind. Looking good Scott.

Thanks George...

For those not in the know.. be aware (beware) that spear sockets shoot out hot oil when quenching.

For those not in the know.. be aware (beware) that spear sockets shoot out hot oil when quenching.

Snicker! Snort! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Fell off the chair, laughing so hard.

Oh no! Are you okay?

Funny how some objects have a presence and an attitude.

~Bruce~

Oh no! Are you okay?

:-) Yeah.. I'm fine actually. Not even burnt up a little. The oil shot out so fast that it didn't even have time to warm up past what the bucket heater brought it up to.