Hello everyone!I'm new on here. This is my first forged knife and first knife I've made in about 17 years! The Blade is made from a file and it was edge quenched in oil then etched in vinegar. The handle is made of apple wood and deer antler. I'm not entirely happy with it but I'm just happy to learn from the mistakes I made on this one. I had to use a diamond file to get a better angle on the blade after I already heat treated, tempered, and etched. So I need to do a little more finishing work on the blade as seen in the whole knife picture. Criticism is welcome!

Skinner blade.jpg

Skinner.jpg

Skinner mock.jpg

Edited by baugherbrouw

Well, you certainly have a good hand and eye when it comes to drawing! I love the proposed plan for the handle.

The blade has good lines and the fitment looks solid. I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing it progress.

Looks good to me. Just keep on trucking. I am real interested in seeing the work you propose on the handle. What kind of wood is that your using for the handle?

Thanks, guys! I'm a little rusty at drawing, most of the lines around the bird are just filler and probably won't be exactly like the drawing.

The handle is apple wood. I cut the tree down about five years ago and it's been seasoning ever since.

wow Nice Design and drawing I look forward to seeing this come to life .

Sam

I was able to do more work on this knife this weekend. I wasn't able carve as much around the bird as I wanted to. The wood was just a little softer than what I had expected. I have yet to scrimshaw the horn piece as I need to practice a bit beforehand.

skinner 1.jpg

skinner2.jpg

Edited by baugherbrouw