Sax from 6th century

Petr Florianek

Hello Gentlemen!

i am here afain to share completed work- this time a generous commission. its a sax wit 10 inches long blade made of of wrought iron and hearth steel. there are 3 grooves and three inlayed rondels in fine silver. Handle is reindeer antler chip carved in deep relief. fittings are silver and are reinforces with chased ridge. Pomel is cast silver with engraved sides and garnet set in the bezel.

scabbard is leather over wood core. Inside is lined with felt. Leather is carved, incised and tooled. Fittings for the scabbard are moose antler and silver

I would love to read your thoughts and criticism. its my first chip carving of this type and i love it, i will use it often from now on

Petr

DSC06747.jpg

DSC06750.jpg

DSC06752.jpg

DSC06751.jpg

DSC06745.jpg

• Like 1

Your work looks to nice Petr... and creates insecurity problems... in the best way of course! :P

Love the handle, the detail really stands out. Also a big fan of the leather work! are the little rings also mini belt buckles? someone really lucky to get this one

-Michael Lenaghan

The depth of your carving and texture it suggests is like nothing I have seen anywhere else. Beautiful and elegant once again!

John

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

Wonderful! Apparently you elected not to color/stain the handle and it looks amazing. Very very fine leather too.

I have always thought that one man of tolerable abilities may work great changes, and accomplish great affairs among mankind, if he first forms a good plan....

- Benjamin Franklin

I love when antler is not stained awesome looks like ivory! really nice depth on the carving Petr.

The blacksmith and the artist reflect it in their art.

They forge their creativity,closer to the heart.

Beautiful! Love the inset gemstone on the pommel!

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

:blink: .....

Petr, my friend, you have outdone yourself on this one. If there were a higher honor than the beard, well, you'd have it. I still think you and Hloh have a time machine in his shed, you know...

Awesome, just awesome. B)

Awesome work, Petr! That leatherwork really stands out to me at the moment.

“Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.”

Stunning just stunning. I didn't know chip carving could be used in that way.

No one said this would be simple...

oh yeah, that is a really nice bit of work. I am quite impressed. Very...

you are very talented and still getting better my friend!

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Petr, that is an amazing piece of work, every single aspect of it shows highly skilled craftsmanship and a deep understanding of the art of our ancestors. Well done sir, well done.

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

it's beautiful Petr. One of my favorites of yours. And another step forward for you.

I had just made myself a chip carving knife from a crooked knife that broke in the quench.... maybe someday I will try to learn!