Question about horse power

jo_smith

I am sure this topic has been debated many times. However I am needing some insight. I have a 1"x42" grinder I have built and that uses a Baldor 1hp and it runs awesome. The thing is I am at the point that we all get to where a 2"x72" grinder is needed to move to the next level of production. I have designed a new grinder but as we all know it looks just like all the other ones out there. My question is when moving up to the bigger belt will 1hp still do a good job?

I am a guy and do understand the feeling of "MORE POWER!!!" but at this point I am wondering which way to go. The AC drives that will run a 1hp motor make the grinder a bit more flexible because of the use of a 110v outlet. What I am worried about it is bogging down while grinding but I have yet to slow my grinder as it is.

Thanks for any input yall have.

www.SilverAnvilBlades.com

more is better...... if you use a variable speed drive i would like 2 to 3 hp at low speeds. i would recommend the deluxe setup as a 3 phase motor with a variable frequency speed drive that has single phase input ( unless you have three phase) and 3 phase output. The voltage on both ends would be 220. I dont know much about single phase motors and their speed controls.

infinite edge cutlery

I have used a 1 hp grinder with a VFD on 110v for 18 months. I know it's limitations and it works for me. I used a 2 hp for a week at an ABS class and my next grinder will be a 2 or 3 hp. Work with what you can to start and save your money till you can get what you need. My big boy motor will run on a 110v VFD also.

”Whoever pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity, and honor!”

George Brackett

American Bladesmith's Society,

Apprentice Member

Hialeah, Florida

Blademark photo 375x75BladeMarkPunch-125-sm_zps2e740d6d.jpg

It seems like at the VFD controllers I can find that will run a 2-3hp motor are all 220v input. This is where the problems lies, because there is only one 220 outlet in the shop and it is in the far corner of the shop and it is not a good place to put a grinder.

www.SilverAnvilBlades.com

It's not a big deal to run a new 220 drop, you know...it's in the shop already, might as well make use of it. I've run two, one for the grinder and one for the power hammer. If you have a subpanel in there you should of course run it on its own breaker.

This is the VFD I was planning to use:

http://motorsandcontrol.com/products/9520-kbac-27d-gray-inverter.html?gclid=CMm8x5iYo7kCFUkS7Aod1XQAiw

It says it will run on 115 volts. I have seen them in action before. They run about $400, and I know quite a few guys using them.

You can either extend from your current outlet and use one item at a time or as Alan suggested run new circuits. If you do not have sub panel you could ask your electrician what it would take to use the breaker space for your current 220 outlet to set up a sub panel and then run all your 220 from it.

Edit...

Another site with info on controllers:

http://www.waynecoeartistblacksmith.com/VFDs.html

Seems 3 hp will need a 220v line.

Edited by GBrackett

”Whoever pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity, and honor!”

George Brackett

American Bladesmith's Society,

Apprentice Member

Hialeah, Florida

Blademark photo 375x75BladeMarkPunch-125-sm_zps2e740d6d.jpg

You can run a 1.5 or 2 hp motor on that KBAC 27D. KB says that you must have 230v for a 2 hp but that is for heavy, continuous use, such as pumps and ac units that are under full load all the time. We don't used belt grinders that way. The VFD will time out if the resistance exceeds the amp value for more than 30 seconds. When grinding knives we are not putting that kind of pressure on the unit for that long a time so they work very well for our purposes with a 2 hp motor. 3 phase motors have more torque than single phase. Torque is more of what you are interested in than hp. I use a 1.5 hp motor and have many times challenged knife makers to bog mine down. There are a few other tricks that I provide when I sell a VFD and wiring kit. I also sell the motors. Check out my web-site and then contact me with any questions.

Wayne Coe
Artist Blacksmith
729 Peters Ford Road
Sunbright, Tennessee
706-273-8017
waynecoe@highland.net
www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com