• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DannyB

Swedish powder steel

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

Could somebody help me?? I need info on swedish powder steel. I would like to know if it's good steel. Is it a good choice for a sword? everything you have.

Thanks

dannyb -- my 'cutting' sword was made in Japan supposedly with Swedish powder steel. The only fault I find in it - at least in my opinion is the heat treat was slightly off ( mune is too soft). Or maybe that is the way it was meant to be. The hasaki is very hard - holds an edge very well. Cuts very nicely when I do my part.

ksb

Swedish Powder Steel??

I know that there are many types of Powder Metallurgical "Swedish" steels...

so before I could help you I'd need at least a correct description/name/number...

dan

Swedish Powder Steel??

I know that there are many types of Powder Metallurgical "Swedish" steels...

so before I could help you I'd need at least a correct description/name/number...

dan

22760[/snapback]

Sorry but that's all I have. That's the kind of info a receive from a guy who was said by another guy that swedish powder steel was good" If you know what I mean??

Thanks anyway..

Danny

Then I'm sorry, but I can't help you...

for the simple reason that I can not give you an answer about "Swedish Powder Steel" which would fit on all Swedish Powder Steels....

dan

Maybe you refer to ASSAB K-120C powdered Swedish steel, used to make Paul Chen katanas?

'swedish powder steel' like Crucibles CPM steels denotes a way of making steel not the alloy. So unless further defined it can be any alloy.

Maybe you refer to ASSAB K-120C powdered Swedish steel, used to make Paul Chen katanas?

23062[/snapback]

It might be the Damasteel produtline you are thinking of.

Jonas.

Actually, saying Swedish powder steel doesn't even specify the production method. Hoganas AB, headquartered in Hoganas, Sweden, the world's predominant producer of iron based powders produces iron/steel powders by at least 3 different methods - direct solid state reduction of iron ore, water atomizing molten steel melted in an EAF, and gas atomizing I believe from an induction furnace.

Thanks guys

That what I taught.....that's not a new magic steel. Is it 5160 best steel to do a sword. We want to do tameshigiri with it.

Thanks guys

That what I taught.....that's not a new magic steel.  Is it 5160 best steel to do a sword.  We want to do tameshigiri with it.

23299[/snapback]

For a Katana type sword I would not go by 5160...

5160 can work of course... but if you plan on going the "hamon-way" 5160 tends to be not so responsvie...

Best would be (if you don't want to fold things) something from the 1060, 1070, 1075, 1085, 1090 or a W1 or W1...

basically try to stick to any "plain" carbon steel with 0.6 (0.5 works too but I don't like it that much) to 1.0 %Carbon...

Water hardening steels and either use polymers or heated brine (salted water) ...

this delivers nice results.

Thank you Daniel

I was thinking of trying the 10... category after I watched Wally Hayes tape ''How to do Katana tac''

Thanks for your time and knowledge

Danny