Arrow Heads

I have been making arrow heads..... and getting back into archery again, this time with the long bow.

I will be going for an informal assessment at the guild of traditional bowyers and fletchers at the end of the month, with the aim to (hopefully) become a master arrow smith next year ....all being well.

They are tricky little buggers to make and I am finally getting there (I think).....Defiantly a back to school kind of thing.....

Here are a few swallow tail arrow heads.

3 finished and 2 in the rough.

4 of them are bloomery material and one is twisted damascus.

cheers.

9666254316_ac0ee454a0_c.jpg

Beautiful work Owen.

Those look like they would be very tricky to forge. Would you consider listing the steps involved, or (even better) posting a tutorial where you show the sequence of forging steps?

Awesome.

Love the longbow. Best wishes in your pusuit of Master Arrow Smith.

I second the request for a few construction details.

Could you imagine having to have one of those things removed from your person? I thought fish hooks were bad :lol:

Superb! I finally (took 4 weeks longer than it should have) got my arrow shafts in the mail, which means I'll have to be trying out some of my own shortly. Thanks for the inspiration!

John

Thanks for your barber surgeon tutorial there Alan! Ughhhh , Im for chain mail. ooops chainmail doesnt stop the dreaded clothyard shaft of the longbow. OUCH mail links and arrowhead in wound! Great job on those arrow heads Owen. Say are Long bows legal for open carry there in jolly ol England these days! Best of luck on qualifying with your guild.

Hi Owen,

Are they one piece or do you forge the socket and blade and forge weld them together? Great work by the way..I have always been a fan of two blade broad heads for hunting. Love to see them on an arrow.

Thanks for all the comments.

These are made from one piece of metal split,however I have also tried forge welding in a few variations.

The sockets are wrapped but unwelded, forge welding 1/2 mm is a little too tricky for me!!

I am not really in a position to do a wip at the mo on these , the techniques are still new to me and as such are changing and developing ( these heads are in their 4 th incarnation of a progressive set of techniques) these are the first few that I have been happy with.

Most of this I am figuring out myself, however Mick and myself did a days tuition with Hector cole a month or so ago and although all the forging is just that ( forging) all the subtle little nuances make big differences at this scale.

All the best owen

those look very nice. the nuances must be very challenging.

I was web searching for some hard to find field points I like to use and came across a UK site that sells Hector's points (the Cloth of Gold).

He definitely does nice work.