Dark Wave Bowie

I finally have something worth posting after all this time

The blade is hand forged from a spring tooth harrow spring that spark tests and hardens like 1095. Three normalizing cycles and quenching in 130 degree canola oil gives a VERY fine grain structure. With a "clay back" of Rutlands, the blade came out completely straight. The hamon started showing up with 120 grit belt sanding and after 2000 grit hand sanding and six short FeCl etches it was popping nicely.

The handle is African Blackwood with blackwood and copper spacers with a 1/4" copper pressure fit guard

DSCN2757.jpeg

Clean, crisp and elegant.

Absolutely, that turned out wonderful... the blackwood and copper go well together, and I love the shape.

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

Nicely done ! I love using junk to make knives. Trash to treasure. I really like that guard too.

www.hoyfamily.net

Isa 54:16 Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy.Lu 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Mr 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

Nice clean lines! Really pretty.

To become old and wise... You first have to survive being young and foolish! ;) Ikisu.blogsot.com. Email; milesikisu@gmail.com mobile: +27784653651

Thank you all for the kind words. Gus, After 6 years I still keep the first knife like object hung up in my shop to remind me where I started. I read this forum to remind me where I want to go. LOTS OF HAMMER TIME!

That sure is worth posting. Great work

"Old dogs care about you even when you make mistakes" - Tom HALL - Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon wine.

• 2 weeks later...

This took a little while, but I finally completed the sheath. Copper cone and throat with a forged copper stud. The body of the sheath is black lamb skin over a wooden liner. DSCN2865.JPG

that is good stuff! I like the knife and the sheath. I am a sucker for copper.

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Alan, I remembered a "trick" that was demonstrated at a Northwest Blacksmithing conference some time ago. The demonstrator was using scrolling tongs he had made with long round jaws. As I had already thrown away cone attempt #1, I thought I would give them a try. Harbor Freight carries 11" long needle nose pliers, so about 10 minutes on my belt grinder and I had a pair of round jawed scrolling pliers.

I took photos of the whole sheath building process. If you think it would be worth while I could post them and the explanation in the sheaths and leatherwork section.

Kevin, I also am in love with copper. It's easy to work with and has a warmth like no other metal (that I can afford).

This might be pretty stupid guestion but how the heck do you guys make the copper stay so bright. When I'm working with it all I need to do is glance away and it turns into statue of liberty. Colorwise, the shape usually stays as it was. ^_^

Anyway, thats one stunningly beautiful knife. Absolutely one of my favourites on this site. The copper blackwood combo looks really good.

This might be pretty stupid guestion but how the heck do you guys make the copper stay so bright. When I'm working with it all I need to do is glance away and it turns into statue of liberty. Colorwise, the shape usually stays as it was. ^_^

Anyway, thats one stunningly beautiful knife. Absolutely one of my favourites on this site. The copper blackwood combo looks really good.

I've had best luck with car wax.

Kip

A man is no better than his word! Check out the web site @ www.thekaisercustomknives.com

Mike, You have come a long ways! Hope to see this piece at the Washington Show.

My old friend Bruce Evans put this tutorial together several years ago: http://beknivessite2.homestead.com/nssheath.html Its not quite the samething but I feel a lot of the same technics could be used for the throat and tip. Do something like this for you next project. :D

Raymond Richard

www.hawknknives.com

Ray, it feels like a long ways. I found Bruce Evans tutorial during my search. I did use some of his techniques as well as some from other sources. I hope to convince the new owner to let me have visitation rights to bring her to the Kelso Show.