Michael Kemp

Blower source for blown burner?

I'm ready to set my T-Rex aside and build a blown burner like the one Geoff Keyes lined out in the pinned "Blown Burners..." thread in this forum.

I can find 100+ cfm blowers at the local "indoor gardening" suppliers - but the flange is square and may be a pain to mate to pipe... same with blowers from on-line blacksmith suppliers.

As is noted in the "Blown Burners..." thread - the burner listed there is no longer available through Surplus Center.

Does anyone have an on-line source for the type of blower that can mate directly to a floor flange (that screws into standard piping)???

Thanks

I am getting one of these: http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=16-1436&catname=

I plan on building a box to put it in. The blower will be mounted against the side with a hole cut out where the inlet is. This gives me a clean unit to move around for forges and eventually smelting furnaces, lets me easily attach a damper plate to restrict inlet air, and a hole-saw gets me my round outlet hole with even flow to whatever flexible hose I want. Multiple hose sizes just means making a few holes with matching plugs. Sounds pretty simple to build in my head at least.

Hope this helps, or if someone can tell me it is a bad idea (and why) it could save me some hassle.

Try doing a search on epay for " castle blower" or "bounce blower" etc These are inflatable kids castle blowers. You can pick up the blowers

fairly cheaply without a castle or a damaged castle with a blower. The cases are typically plastic however they do work well into a high back pressure.

Another source is the cheap woodworking air filtration units. Its actually cheaper buying the air filtration unit for its blower rather than buying the equivalent CFM blower from an industrial supply. If you later need the air filtration unit its easy JOB to swap the blower across since its typically sold on wheels.

If you going to be doing this a lot a very good blower to look for is the Rotron Centrimax. You will have to search through fleapay for these blowers since they no long being made. The design is a special impeller that works very well into high back pressures. It works very well on 60hz power. Where I am the power is 50hz and the backpressure figures are not all that good. This blower was designed to run 24/7 in heavy industrial equipment with high reliability. They are very sort after by broadcast stations. You will find rebuilt units at inflated prices. They unbeatable for a compact high pressure blower. Just watch out for sellers who dont know the differences between 3 phase and single phase power!

A quality brand like Ziel EBM is the Rolls Royce of blowers. The models you want are the g2e140, g2e160 and g2e180. These are very expensive if you are buying them new. There are many people who dont know the value of these German built quality blowers. I picked up a G2180 blower thats worth 800 dollars for 50 dollars. Knowing your part numbers can pay dividends.

You can also check hydroponic shops. Many weed growers use these blower for ventilation and many legitimate applications! You can also find

whats called a boats "bilge blower" which typically runs of 12 or 24 volts. The larger boats do use 230 volt units for engine compartment ventilation.

I would also check the blowers specifications. Many blowers are not designed to run with any back pressure so can burn out. While any blower will do I would check the back pressure figures. I think for forge or smelting use, something with at least 1 or 2 inches of h2o back pressure is a decent blower. You can stress a blower and burn it out if its not designed to run into high back pressure. Most air conditioning duct blowers move a lot of air but cant handle the back pressure of the typical small diameter forge or smelting size pipes.

Good luck, I have been through this blower hunting/learning exercise because of the lack of availability and silly prices.

might try a 100 cfm bathroom blower , I am useing a cheap 70 cfm bloer for my blown forge.

For smelting the "bounce house" blowers are the way to go, not so much for a forge in the 300 ci range. The blower I use on my forges is rated at 100 cfm, and for nearly every case, I have to choke off 50% to 90% of the intake, or it blows the forge out. The only think I can think of against the box idea (which is a good one) is that I prefer to have the fan above the gas inlet. I had a fan fill with gas once and it blew apart when the power came on and it sparked. Propane is heavier than air, BTW.

Geoff

I noticed this morning that Harbor Freight (I was replacing my cheapo digital calipers) has a 1hp 950 CFM centrifugal blower they sell as a portable dust collection unit. It comes with some kind of useless "dust bag" like object on the outlet that might hold up under it's intended application for a minute or so, but it is a true vane-type centrifugal fan, not a squirrel cage, and it's on sale for $99. Just the thing for a HUGE smelter! Being from HF it's probably not balanced or grounded, but it has a carry handle... ;)

Again, I said for a smelter. One of these could run four or five coal forges and maybe a dozen gas forges at once. I plan on building a version of Danocon's piston blower one of these days, but the "dust collector" might be handy during the time it would take me to build one, and it would be quieter than a Shop Vac. Wonder if it would run on a rheostat?

Alan, I have that dust collector for my sand-blast cabinet. It works quite well but is noisy as all get out. I think with a sale and coupon I get mine for $70.

Geoff, good to think about with the gas. I try to make sure my gas pipes are always pointed downhill and the air comes in from behind (above) so it shouldn't be able to make it to the air source. Well worth keeping in mind and repeating often.

Geoff - Grainger d'oh! If I can't find something I like locally there's always Grainger. And thanks for the reminder about propane pooling in low places!

Thanks guys - that gives me a number of local sourcing ideas. I think I'll pass on the 300 or 950 cfm - not trying to blow the doors off!

A little sheet metal work should transform square/rectangle output to pipe - or duct down from bathroom fan.

Hmm. Now to roam around town.

Michael

[edited to reduce image size]

So speaking of Blowers.. I was at the big box home impreovement store today and saw this:

20130914_145632 (Small).jpg

According to the box it is a blower and a "mulching" vacuum And looky here.. an actual metal impeller :

20130914_145620 (Small).jpg

IIRC just over $60 on clearance.. Picked one up.. might be a while before I get around to trying it out.. but seemed worth giving a try.. at teh very least less leaf raking. :)

Edited by Podmajersky

The initial test went well. I throttled it back as it passed 2350F since the Inswool I got is rated at 2400F. Then I thought about propane pooling in low places and reconfigured with the fan up high. Only trouble was I had a couple of back-burn incidents and now the fan is acting poorly. I believe I know why I was getting back-burn and I think I can fix that. I'm about to head down to the shop and dismantle the fan to see if it's fixable. Always something.

BlowerBurnerTest.jpg