This is the tanto that I took to Harley's hammer-in. It is the first one for me that turn out OK without cracking during the quench.

Even with all the advice from Coop about picture taking, it is very hard to photograph one of these things.

On a different note, I wanted to thank Larry Harley for putting together this hammer-in. It was my first hammer-in and I enjoy every minute of it. Lots of good advice was shared and lots of information was given that was very helpful for a beginner like myself.

I want to thank everyone there for sharing their knowledge.

tanto.jpg

Thank you Alan.

Raymond, this blade is of sanmai construction. The center or core steel is 1050 (in the end that is what the edge is made of). The two layers of steel that made the jacket layers are made of pattern-welded steel. About 200-300 layers of a combination of 1095, 1050 and 15N20. Hope that will help you understand what you see in the picture. The pattern is pretty much random.

Yes. I used satanite mixed with charcoal and some iron filings for coating during heat treating.

I've live in Huntsville for the last 5 years but I have never been to the Arsenal. Maybe one of these days I will. I have many friends that work there.