Sign in to follow this  
Josh Burrell

Some of my latest pieces

I can't remember what I have and haven't shown here.

I bought a wood lathe so i'm now turning handles for some of my tools where I can.

The Goosewing hatchet (gosling...get it?) was me trying new ways to make an axe with dramatically different dimensions/proportions.

The eye was made as a separate piece and the welded onto the bit which is a laminate of en9 (1060ish) and mild steel.

its form is based on various clog-makers axes from France and the centrals European broad axe

DSCF2936_zps9367d994.jpg

DSCF2941_zps8a1c73cb.jpg

The fore, had its own thread a while ago in hot work I think showing the Asymmetric wrap used to form the eye,

ive since turned a Handle/Helve/Haft (not sure which is correct with a froe...) from the rippled ash stock pile ive got.

its quite pretty I think, but will improve with seventy year of serious use. this timber polishes so well with the hand.

DSCF2950_zps10cd7b7f.jpg

and heres a little draw knife with turned ash handles that again will be really lovely after a decade or so

DSCF2927_zps7e9e27ea.jpg

the other big development for me lately is that I now have my old style touch mark that im putting on anything that'll stay still long enough. I shared this before, but it has taken a long time to come and im quite fond of it.

DSCF2954_zpsf765722e.jpg

is the last picture the right way around? I did adjust it...

Also the horrid haft on the hatchet is temporary until I get my mits on some bigger stock.

Thanks

I like where you're going with this, Josh! But you knew that. B)

That is some very nice ash. A good honest hand-use patina and it will glow from within.

Thanks everyone,

Alan, this ash came from my grandfather who had it for at least 50 years before giving it to me... it is definitely seasoned and as hard as any timber id ever like to meet.

ive got a few old tools hammers etc where the haft has received that "glow" from use and theyre my favourite tools to use.

the drawknife was made for someone who never picked it up... so its mine now! It was intended for bow making and im finding it usefull for making hafts and prepping timber for the lathe.

another underrated tool really, very versatile.

thanks again!

Great work, Josh. You've got a great eye for the little things that make the whole just that much more elegant.

All lovely. The draw knife is excellent, I think it would be a pleasure to use

Thanks again everyone,

James- it was longstrider in the end.

I've commented elsewhere, but again.... really nice work Josh. The Goosewing is pure bad ass.