GEzell

my humble entry

I had originally planned to make a pattern-welded spear but things didn't go as planned, a big ugly welding flaw and problems with the socket scrapped that idea. I absolutely hate to drop out of a KITH once I've committed to it, so on with plan B.

Yyg201_zps0de0af8c.jpg

Yyg202_zpsb72ec258.jpg

Steel from a pre-1950s plow tine (there is something biblical about forging a weapon from a plow), and a re-purposed hickory handle (yes it is/was a hoe handle). Overall it is 61 5/8" long, blade and socket are 19", blade itself is 13 1/2 x 1 9/16". It would have been better if it were another foot or so longer but even as is it has a serious presence to it. It could be thrown but is a bit heavy for that, but would be a formidable weapon in hand. The rivet is brass and unfinished as yet.

Though it is not what I'd originally planned I'm still quite happy with it, it is very difficult to resist the urge to poke things with it.... :)

Dr. Knowitall Says,

Technically, spears are for thrusting, javelins and harpoons are for throwing. I have this sudden image in my head of a guy in zebra shirt blowing his whistle and shouting "10 yards, from the spot of the foul, illegal use of weapon. Replay, second charge!".

I like it! That'd grind someone's bones nicely. I'm thinking there is pumpkin carnage in the near future.

Geoff

That turned out great George!!! Just another one to add to the wish list!

Kip