WIP......A sword at last

Rob, good fishing is as important as it makes for good eating too! (I do a lot of fly fishing... Never caught a Barra, though! (One day)...

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks James and Thomas, I have decided to make a scabbard..then I will make 3 pipe hawks then I think I will mak a saber.

Miles..you guys have Nile perch which to my eye are just an oversized barramundi... I have to get to Africa one day.

Ps.. Miles if ever you get to Oz I will gladly take you fishing for barra

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo

Rob, the nile perch are in lake Victoria, a long way from me, but worth a trip as they grow well over 100 pounds! (Malawi is THE place, but the roads, what roads?!?) Just getting there is a mission on it's own! Mind you it's been many years...maybe by now it's beter... If I ever get around to visiting my sister, I'll look you up!

Rob, your weather sounds a lot like sw Florida winter is nice, summer is hot, humid and downpours every day!

Buck, got to get some more coal before I do any more forging...wet wet wet

Miles, make sure you do!

Thanks Stu, appreciate the comments.

Fred, I would like to go to Florida

Did some chopping testing. Easily cleaved through this 3 inch palm with a backhand upper cut.. Don't know the proper terminology on that... Went a bit crazy town on the palms after that... Big mess to clean up now..but it was very very fun!

IMG_2014021942692.jpg

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo

I have not properly sharpened it yet but it is kind of sharp just from finishing. I was quite amazed and happy with how it cut. I did not swing it very hard and expected a bit if a jolt but i just heard a cool " snick" and it was through..no jar at all in fact there was almost no identifiable resistance.

I then gave the harder woody bases a shellacking to see how the blade and handle held up and there were no issues there so I am confident it is sound.

I know we live in a time when swords fights are a thing of the past..but I got a real feel as to how effective and lethal a sharp sword blade would be.

I am waiting on a friend who is getting me some more ironwood so I can start the scabbard as things are too wet to make some charcoal to forge anything.

I have been a bit lost since finishing this..

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo

We'll, got some more lovely ironwood delivered today so it's on to the scabbard ...be a few firsts in this too.

IMG_2014022528154.jpg

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo
  • 2 months later...

Hey Rob. I know I'm way late to chime in, but thanks for documenting this process, and great job on the sword.
I was wondering though, how did you clean up the fuller via stock removal with hand tools? The fuller looks great and it'd be helpful to know how you did it.

Edited by Collin Miller

Beautiful Ironwood! I'm still in the middle of putting everything back in my shop, so I haven't fired up the forge for over a month. I'm having serious withdrawals!

Hi Colin,

I cleaned the fuller up with sand paper and a round bit of axel. Wrapped the paper round the axel and sanded up and back. I went through the grades of paper. Hope that helps.,

Rob

Buck, also am going through withdrawals. My forge tray needs replacing and my work situation has drastically changed so time at the moment is very tight.