WIP......A sword at last

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys ...as always it is great to hear from you all. I am getting nearer to my first sword...exciting..funny thing is when I complete a new stage I am just as excited to hear what you guys think...let's me know I'm on the right track..I could show the blokes at work but they would think a rats tail tang wall hanger from the cheap a shop was good too so I really appreciate comments from those who know.

Hope to get the handle on this weekend..all going well.

Love the finished carvings, that takes time, patience and skill. I am curious as to how you finished the wood? Looks very clean and smooth. Also, love the patina. It really makes the fittings have a feeling of warmth and depth. You on the home stretch now?

Hey Josh,

I painted Indian ink in the stippling with a small brush then just added linseed oil and buffed it with a rag. I will add some bees wax on top perhaps. I also plan to round the tail bits up a bit..just so the knots flow a bit better..then I will leave it alone.

I love the liver of sulphur but I also am very keen to try George's suggestion.

"Old dogs care about you even when you make mistakes" - Tom HALL - Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon wine.

This is an inspiring piece of work, Rob! Looks fantastic. I can't wait to see it all together. What are you going to do for the sheath?

B)

Truth simply is. Whether you like that truth or not is totally irrelevant.

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge">https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge

Thanks Buck, I hope to make it from Australian ironwood like the handle and do some carving of some sort on that too. It has been raining flat out here and I have been wanting to finish the blade off and fit the handle but my shop is kind of exposed to the elements so I might have to work on the pommel.

"Old dogs care about you even when you make mistakes" - Tom HALL - Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon wine.

Thanks Michael,

Well today I spent a whole day just sanding the blade...sanding sanding sanding and more sanding....no images worth posting..just sanding..and there are still scratches to sand out so it seems there will be more hours of sanding yet.

"I'm not a sword sander..I'm a sword sanders son and I'll keep sanding this sword till the sword standings done"

The blade is now sharp and as I was clamping it to the wood sanding block it slipped and sliced my fingers (nothing bad) but it was a good reminder that this is the point to be most careful...I just want to get the handle on this thing but now is the time to step back and do things properly so I put it away for the day and do some more tomorrow.

To add difficulty the monsoon rain has finally come and as my shop is a very basic set up with just a roof and all open air and dirt floor I found myself wearing gumboots and sanding with 3 inches of flowing water across the floor of my shop...I had to keep a good coat of oil on the blade as with the humidity and rain it rusts before your eyes.

When the day comes that I get a belt grinder and a shop with a concrete floor and electricity ( when it's dry I run a power cord from the house) and other luxurious tools that make life easier I am sure I will honestly appreciate it way more than if I had never taken this road...

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo

To add difficulty the monsoon rain has finally come and as my shop is a very basic set up with just a roof and all open air and dirt floor I found myself wearing gumboots and sanding with 3 inches of flowing water across the floor of my shop...I had to keep a good coat of oil on the blade as with the humidity and rain it rusts before your eyes.

When the day comes that I get a belt grinder and a shop with a concrete floor and electricity ( when it's dry I run a power cord from the house) and other luxurious tools that make life easier I am sure I will honestly appreciate it way more than if I had never taken this road...

I just got power in my shop this summer. After 10 years without it, I LOVE it! As for the monsoon and the rust, not something I have to worry much about in Idaho. Instead, even though my shop has walls, it has no door, other than a tarp I nailed up. I end up in a T-shirt sweating from the heat of the forge, with my feet going numb in my snowboots.

But I think you are right. There's a universal law: Everything worthwhile requires sacrifice. If we had fancy shops with power, high-end tools, we wouldn't truly appreciate them. Nor would we have the experience of doing it all by hand. I actually took notes on some of the jigs in your pictures to make some of my own. And even now that I do have some power tools, I still find that I both enjoy it and can get better results doing things by hand. A power hammer though...that would be the bomb! :)

Looking forward to seeing more pictures!

B)

Truth simply is. Whether you like that truth or not is totally irrelevant.

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge">https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge

Well said Buck! ( I dream of things like power hammers) Rob, I live on the coast, and rust is a b@*##@r! But can be used to create some interesting finishes! I'm happy to see people like you overcome the problems/adverseties that nature and life throw at you! Well done, you will enjoy the completion of this project for years to come! (And so will many of us who have enjoyed the ride with you...) THANKS (for inviting us on the journey!)

To become old and wise... You first have to survive being young and foolish! ;) Ikisu.blogsot.com. Email; milesikisu@gmail.com mobile: +27784653651

Very nice carvings Rob! Looks like the liver of sulfur did its job. Out of curiosity how are you sanding the blade? (ie sanding sticks, stones, by hand?) I've found round sanding sticks to be useful on knives because I can rotate the stick as I pull it down the blade to have continuous access to sharp grit, but I'm not sure how well that would work on a sword.

"It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." Proverbs 25:2 (KJV)

bezalelblades.blogspot.com

Hey Buck, I would also love a power hammer.....hey....snow boots! .....I just can't imagine what it would be like to have snow. The coldest it ever gets here is about 15deg C and that feels cold

Thank you Miles and all for coming along with me. I really am grateful for the interest, advice and feedback..I have a few trees down so it's out with the chainsaw while I can....there are some nice burls on some of the gum trees..how do you season wood before you can use it for handles...be a shame to waist this as it is great hardwood

Very nice carvings Rob! Looks like the liver of sulfur did its job. Out of curiosity how are you sanding the blade? (ie sanding sticks, stones, by hand?) I've found round sanding sticks to be useful on knives because I can rotate the stick as I pull it down the blade to have continuous access to sharp grit, but I'm not sure how well that would work on a sword.

Hi Josh,

Liver of Sulphur was great....love it......

I have emery paper wrapped around a flat metal bar and am using it the same way as with draw filing. I also have used a stone too..esp near the tip.

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo

I know that gum is prone to splitting, and haven't tried it...but I slice it up like bread, and weigh a slice, mark it and put it in a 'hot box' a small wooden cupboard with wire shelves, and install a low watt light bulb, (15) like a fridges, then after +- 5 days weigh the marked piece again, and regularly after that, when it stops loosing weight, it's dry, then oil/beeswax is applied to stop it absorbing moisture and store in a dry place... Hope you get some nice pieces!

To become old and wise... You first have to survive being young and foolish! ;) Ikisu.blogsot.com. Email; milesikisu@gmail.com mobile: +27784653651

I'm going to give that a go Miles..let you know how i go....trouble will be finding a dry place..at least until the start of June anyway.

Spent 3 hours today and got one side of the blade sanded.....tomorrow hope to do the other side...then it will be ready to fit the handle...can't wait...I almost got caught in the trap of rushing it again today but I stopped myself!.....hey...I have learned something from my mistakes.

I almost got caught in the trap of rushing it again today but I stopped myself!.....hey...I have learned something from my mistakes.

Truer words were never said! Great work so far, and eagerly awaiting the final stages B)

John

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

Thanks John.. Getting closer.. One soggy step closer.

Here is today's progress... I had to endure the monsoon rain again... Got the blade finished...then quickly oiled then wrapped it up.

Fit the handle, peen the tang then finish off and add the pommel and then I will have myself a sword..

Oh.. At least someone loves the wet weather! :-)

IMG_2014012236691.jpg

IMG_2014012257820.jpg

IMG_201401225356.jpg

IMG_20140122168.jpg

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo

Man Rob! Those are some soggy wet conditions to be working in! The blade is looking so good! Keep on to the finish!

Men are just boys with bigger toys!

Time you build a 'dry' workshop methinks!

A dry workshop is on my list for sure...I may even get to it this dry season, and get some more tools. I pick a lot of my stuff up from garage sales..you get some real bargains. I got my bench grinder, vice, a heap of old files, propane torch and a heap more..you never know I may even find a power hammer at one...or an umbrella..

Here is today's bit of progress from inside and out of the rain....the pommel....I still have a bit of sanding and the pins need to be brazed in, then a bit of good old liver of sulphur.

DSC_1617-1.jpg

DSC_1620-1.jpg

DSC_1621-1.jpg

DSC_1625-1.jpg

DSC_1627-1-1.jpg

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo

Looks great Rob! I like the scroll pattern on the pommel. My wife and I like to go garage sale shopping, though here in orange county there isn't that many people that have good smithing tools. We did luck out with one garage that had a bunch of very nice jewelry making tools though!

Men are just boys with bigger toys!

Thanks guys...I'm getting excited too...so close now. All I have to do before fitting the handle is braze the pins to the pommel head.( and maybe just a little more liver of sulphur as I love that stuff)...I have never done brazing before and would appreciate any advice on this.

I only have a propane torch which will not get hot enough...so here is what I was thinking of doing.

The pommel is bronze and the pins are brass, I have 15% silver solder rod and borax and a jar of silver brazing flux.

I was planning to heat the whole pommel to a dull red in my forge and then put the silver rod on the heated parts and hope for the best.....would I need flux and if so which one of the two would be best and how to best apply it.

Any hep on this would be greatly appreciated and please feel free to tell me if I am way off track.

Thanks again guys to all for the help and comments to date

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo

The forge will work. Use the brazing flux and take the assembled pommel+pins to a medium orange and touch the braze wire to it. If it doesn't flow in a second or two get the pommel hotter and try again. Then prepare for filing it off the places you didn't want it to go...

An alternative would be solder. Not as strong, but will do the job!(Countlng the hours till seeing it all done!!!)