Spanish Cedar for handles?

Hello everyone. A friend of mine owns a cigar shop and has given me quite a few pieces of nicely quilted or otherwise figured Spanish Cedar. Has anyone used this stuff for handles? And if so, how well does it work?

-Al Willis

You will need to stabilize it or it will be way to soft there is a reason they make veneer out of it it is very aromatic and perfect for the humidor and cigars Not so much as to knife handles unless it is Stabilized.

Sam

Thanks Sam. That's about what I had expected, but some of the pieces of the heartwood that I have seem unusually hard and dense for Spanish Cedar, almost as much as the Red Oak I have.

-Al Willis

A friend of mine is a cigar manufacturer also. He wanted a knife using Spanish Cedar for the handle. I found the wood to be 1/2 as hard as the red oak I use on my lesser valued knives. I stabilized some and it worked very well. It had a nice curl to it. We went through a few pieces till we found the gain structure that we used. To epoxy it to the blade I used GFlex 650 epoxy with 1018 blued steel pins. The one thing I remember most the rich smell of the wood. I would be sure to wear a respirator while working this stuff.

Edited by GBrackett