My Summer Vacation: Alaska by 27ft Sailboat

Over the summer knifemaking took a back burner while my wife and I took the sailboat I designed and built to Southeast Alaska this summer. If you haven't been there it is an amazing place. Dave, I hope I do your neck of the woods justice. Now it's time to get back in the shop. Here is the first of a travelog/blog of our trip.

Todd

http://quilbilly.blogspot.com/2013/09/north-to-alaska-trailer-sailing-inside.html#links

It is a very beautiful place. I had the good fortune to help sail a 41' sailboat from Seattle, WA to Skagway, Alaska. Thank you for reminding me, and sharing with everyone.

Wow, now that is a trip to remember. I made it to Canada once, went thru Glacier National Park and into Saskatchewan,Canada. I always wanted to go on up to Alaska. Guess that's one I ain't gonna make in this lifetime but I really enjoyed the tour! I always wanted to learn to sail as well but don't guess that is going to happen either, so will have to do by pictures. Really enjoyed the scenery!

Edited by C Craft

It really is an amazing place. I would encourage anyone to see it. While traveling on a sailboat is one way, there are all manner of ways to do it ranging from the pretty cheap, take the Alaska State Ferry from Bellingham Washington and literally camp on deck. People duct tape their tents to the deck. To large cruise ships that are a reasonably priced vacation, to small chartered cruises that cost thousand(s) of dollars a day. The view is pretty much the same from any of them. I come back reenergized and hopeful that there are places in the world that are still unspoiled and pristine.

Todd

Here's the next installment of my travelblog. We have left Ketchikan and are heading south around Prince of Wales Island which is the most remote place I have ever sailed.

http://quilbilly.blogspot.com/2013/09/a-tiny-cork-on-lonely-ocean-ketchikan.html#links

Todd

Now we continue our circumnavigation of Prince of Wales Island. Our next stop is Hydaburg and then Craig where we visit a native carver who is working on replacing the totems in their totem park.

http://quilbilly.blogspot.com/2013/09/sailing-alaska-in-27-ft-boat-on-to.html#links

Todd,

That looks like a great time!

Sitka looks a lot like my hometown of Cordova. Rainy and beautiful.

Nice looking boat! I really like the lines on her. Stay safe! That water is cold. I'm a bit of a safety nut after growing up in the commercial fishery.

Prince William Sound is probably too far North for your vessel, but it's an amazing place. If you have the chance I highly recommend cruising it.

Cheers!

Dave

Dave,

It was a good time. I have actually thought about shipping the boat by barge to Cordova or somewhere. It sits on a trailer all winter so it would be easy to ship. It would be a long drive otherwise. I would love to cruise Prince William Sound but that big stretch of open water across the Gulf of Alaska gives me pause as far as sailing there.

I'm with you on the safety. We pick our weather carefully and I spend most of my time tethered to the boat. While we were on the inside of Baranof Island we heard a Coast Guard radio exchange with the survivor of a capsizing. It was about fifty miles away and the CG was asking mariners in the area to help look for two men in the water. It was really sad and sobering to hear the repeated requests for help, realizing that after the first hour the odds were pretty slim of them being found alive, if at all.

Thanks for the compliment on the boat, I designed and built it so I've got no one else to blame.

Todd

Well thanks,

I spent about ten years thinking about it and designing it. I started with a little model and worked my way up. At one point my son said the models kept getting bigger and bigger, so I might as well just build the boat. It took me four years of after school and weekends. It was my mental health project after teaching all day. That's what my knives are for now.

Todd

The adventure continued. We head toward Craig Alaska, stop in and see a pretty amazing native carver and gear up. More of our Alaskan Summer Travelblog

http://quilbilly.blogspot.com/2013/09/sailing-alaska-in-27-ft-boat-on-to.html#links