disabled vet looking for some help

gmerrell

I've been trying to make a couple tomahawks for my son and I and I'm having marginal success. I tried making a drift out of a 10" long by 1 1/8" diam bar and it's just too short and the angle is too steep, the top to flairing out.

I was wondering if anyone out there has a mandrel/drift that they never use that they would be willing to sell at an incredible deal, I can only work a couple hours a day before the pain gets to me so I really cannot justify $35 + shipping to buy a new one.

Also I’ve making them with the wrap around the mandrel method and would like to try making a hawk from a sold bar but don’t have any high carbon steel large enough if anyone has a 1” to say 1 ½” diam bar big enough to pound out a hawk, let me know.

I'm not looking for charity but if someone has the drift that’s just sitting I’ll
put it to use, Thanks for any help

Greg

Edited by gmerrell

http://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/standard-tomahawk-mandrel.html

cheap as could be

Edited to see, you are looking for cheaper.35$ is a GREAT INVESTMENT, even if you make 2 hawks a year. A proper mandrel like this makes it so you can literally drop a made handle into it, couple tap and its tight. The amount of time, which you say is limited, it will save you will make a mere 35$ worth it. NO R&D trying to make your own (which owuld take hours) and no fitting or shaping of a handle to fit right.

Its not really a drift either, more of a mandrel, you wrap before welding then weld, then slip it in and final fit the hole, not drive it all the way through.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

I can set you up with a piece of 1" (ish, it might be a bit bigger) 5160 round, or I have some 1" square 1080 I could let you have a piece of. Let me know.

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

• 2 weeks later...

I can not thank all of you enought, I've got what I need and then some. The help and support I've gotten from the good people on this site is unreal. I"ll be posting pic and extra thank yous as I get to hammering.

Thanks again

Greg