Fighter

Ulrich Hennicke

Wood:

It is a variety of Dalbergia sp. Essentially a Rosewood or a cocobolo. It exists with a few origins (madagascar, Mexico, Brasil, etc..) which have different figures and apparently different names in English. They seems to be called "somewhere cocobolo" (as in Mexican cocobolo), or somewhere rosewood. Cocobolo is the same family, so is African Blackwood.

In this case as it looks very black, it could be Cocobolo or African Blackwood I guess.

Maybe Ulrich will tell us what kind of Palisander it is (origin)

(dalbergia also encompasses tulipwood and kingwood)

Edited by Michael

This may seem like a random question, but I was thinking about what defines a fighter, (besides the obvious) and I realized that I don't know anything about them. So what does define a fighter? I would love to learn.

Jordan Sahlberg

This may seem like a random question, but I was thinking about what defines a fighter, (besides the obvious) and I realized that I don't know anything about them.  So what does define a fighter?  I would love to learn.

22929[/snapback]

I'm sure that the answer will vary depending upon who answers, but here's my thoughts on what defines a fighter.

The blade is slender yet stout, with a good sharp point for effortless penetration. Bowie style blades are popular with us Americans. False edges are common, but not the rule. A guard is almost always present to prevent the hand from slipping onto the cutting edge, and can be single or double. The handle needs to be non-slip, either by shape, texture, or both. The knife needs a good balance right around the guard, not too heavy in either the blade or handle.

Good lookin knife, Ulrich. Really like the handle carving.

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

Very nice knife Uli - the treatmet of he guard is both distinctive and attractive. Well done!

Defining what constitutes a fighter is nearly as difficult as defining a "bowie". Indeed, distinguishing a large fighter from a bowie can be near impossible - it is whatever the maker says it is or whatever the viewer thinks it is. And where do "tacticals" fit in the fighter equation? Pondering the imponderables...

Roger

For what it's worth, Uli's knife says "fighter" to me all the way.

Edited by RogerP