Hey everyone

I made up a quick lightbox to try to take some better pics and did some playing. Here's a 1084 neck knife with cord wrap, striped mustard etch, and a kydex neck sheath.

3 1/2" blade, 7" overall

neck knife.jpg

Thanks for looking

Dave Armour

Great shape. I love the finish of the steel. What did you do to achieve that? It reminds me of marble or the surface of Jupiter B)

John

Thanks. It's nothing fancy. 400 grit hand sanded finish followed by a mustard etch. I just take mustard with horseradish, thin it out with vinegar ( say about 1 tbsp. vinegar to 1/4c mustard) and thinly paint it on with a qtip. Let that set for a couple of hours, wash the blade clean, and repeat till you get the pattern you like. You can do dots, stripes, random splotches, or whatever strikes your fancy. That was probably 6 times of doing stripes on the blade. The etch seems to do and look the best right next to where you spread the mustard instead of underneath the mustard itself.

Pretty much any working knife I make has either this finish or 400 grit etched in ferric chloride. It's a unique look, adds a bit of protection, and looks more interesting with age and use. Plus I don't get a phone call in 6 months from someone upset that they scratched the heck out of the finish because it already looks "messed up".

Hope that helps

Hey there Dave, good to see your work! I've used the mustard etch a few times myself, and found it to only etch on the edgeof the solution