Hand made hatchet

The Lady Wife and I were out in the local junk stores yesterday and I found this. There was no story with it, so I can only guess. the weight is strange, it's more of a hammer with a sharp peen. It may be that the edge has been ground way back. The handle is ash, maybe, or hickory? And it shows some real hand wear, a lot of it way up near the head, like someone choked way up on the handle quite a bit.

The thing that caught me though was the weld seam. The head was made from a thick piece of stock that was fullered out for the eye, then wrapped and welded. The head has this wonderful crufty surface all over it. I'll have to find a good display spot in my shop for it.

IMG_9368 (640x427).jpg

IMG_9370 (640x427).jpg

IMG_9372 (640x427).jpg

IMG_9374 (640x427).jpg

It looks a bit like a Fort Meigs axe

belt_axe.jpg

Preserving history, one rusty piece of junk at a time

Geoff

I admit that I'm attracted to rust. A antique shack with rusty junk out front can bring me to a screeching halt. It's gems like the one youve shown us that cause this . Who knows what where and who this ax has seen. Very Cool!

I saw that too. There probably is/was an insert on the blade side, but in my own experience that joint is easy to make disappear completely. The welded poll is not easy to blend seamlessly at all. I like old axe-thingys. B) Were you surprised by how narrow the eye is compared to modern ones? I once saw a full-sized felling axe with an eye that measured about 1.5 inches long by just over 1/4 inch wide...

I have an old sledge head that weighs about 15 lbs and the eye is so small that I can't get my finger into it. I had noticed the small eye, but hadn't really considered it, in my admiration of the rest of the piece. I don't think it's 200 years old, but some odd small stuff does wash up on this coast from time to time. The Russians were here by the middle 1750's. The HBC were here by about 1820.

It's a cool find in any case.

Geoff

On closer inspection you can just see a weld line at the front edge. The last picture shows it faintly. It looks like it's made up of 4 pieces: 2 sides (which might be wrought) a steel insert for the bit, and a steel slab welded to the poll. Are there other axes that show this kind of construction?

Geoff