My first pair of tongs

Guest guest T

Guest guest T

I just finished my first pair of tongs today :)! they are made from 2 rail road spikes and it took me about 5 hours of work to make them.(Don't worry I had the forge outside with a nice breeze). The joint where the two peices meet were not level so I had to file it down and I had to use a bolt as an impromptu rivet. This is my third day forging and I am definetly getting better at hammer control. Any advice would be much appreciated becuase I know a bit about bladesmithing and blacksmithing in theory but very little in practice.

894738_531089686960856_1852840043_o.jpg

902572_531089683627523_1625474847_o.jpg

They are perfect for holding rail road spikes.

1273950_531085346961290_441616116_o.jpg

Guest guest T

Nice!! Where do you get the RR spikes?

I just moved from Folsom CA and there is an old abandoned rail road that crosses the bike trails and runs along a creek near prairie oaks. the ties are very rotted and most of the spikes are rusted halfway gone. I have a small box full of spikes but eventualy I will run out. Edited by Tre Asay

OH, you should see if you can get some of the track for an anvil. If it's not illegal and you don't have a better anvil, that'd be epic.

Guest guest T

OH, you should see if you can get some of the track for an anvil. If it's not illegal and you don't have a better anvil, that'd be epic.

I already have a short rr track anvil and it works well. if I knew where extra track was in california I would tell you. I did once find a 6 foot section in the ditch near a track but it was several miles in the wilderness.1269665_530704013666090_1077843724_o.jpg

I would suggest standing the rail up on end. More mass under your hammer blow. All you need for surface area is the size of your hammer.

some good lessons about forging.

http://www.abana.org/resources/education/chf.shtml

They have at least 2 dealing with tongs that will give you a better idea of how to tackle it. Lots of nice pictures to which is my favorite part:D

I started on a piece of track (that I still have) and making tongs out of spikes. Still have the tongs too. Welcome to an ever expanding possibilities.

Good first effort. The exercise will teach you how to move metal. See how they work for you and then see how they could work better. I think that you will find that the reins are a little short an will put your hand too close to the fire.

Doug

Edited by Doug Lester

About the same as my first pair of tongs, except you can actually use yours :P I would suggest for your next pair making notches where your joint will be

http://youtu.be/VmQTOTIKcWg

Bill Epps imho is brilliant with metal, even if you don't have the same tools you can improvise and work around some of it...and honestly tongs can be made of structural steel you can get at the hardware store.

Caleb

Were RR tracks cross the road you can usually find old "runoff tracks" that (I think) were used in case of emergency so a train could pull off and get out of the way of another train (?) I noticed that RR workers will sometimes drop loads of spikes on these tracks and leave them there to rot; I have 3 five gallon buckets full of brand new high carbon RR spikes I found on an old track.