Dave Stephens

KMG Motor Bogging Down: Any thoughts?

Hi All:

My new shop is almost up and running, so I thought I'd give the new dust collection system a test. After firing up the KMG for the first time since it was transported from Alaska, this is what it's doing:

Essentially, it boggs down under any load, then restarts when the load is removed. I've tightened the belt, so I know it's not belt slipping.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your advice.

--Dave

it looks like a DC motor controller from the picture........which i suspect is behaving badly.

you can open it up and look for loose wires or a burnt out component.

after that you will need to contact the folks who made the control and see what they think.

ps where did you move to ??

Edited by john marcus

if it is an ac vfd i would suspect the vfd as being set up incorrectly.... eg max current or torque is set to low :) check owner manual for set up parameters

if it is an ac vfd i would suspect the vfd as being set up incorrectly.... eg max current or torque is set to low :) check owner manual for set up parameters

Hi John! Good to hear from you. The mill is still working great!

This KMG was set up a long time ago and has run flawlessly for years. Based on your comments perhaps something jiggled loose in the VFD during the 4800 mile long drive from AK to here. I'll open her up and check the connections.

Thanks!

Dave

Hmmm.... I have no idea if it would matter but is the circuit breaker rated high enough? I know the VFD has a capacitor, if there isn't enough juice coming in maybe it can't be fully recharged fast enough and delivers less power?

Based on the video and a reference on the Beaumont site I have assumed it is a KBAC-24d or 27d. OF course if the assumption is wrong then this information is not correct. However going on that assumption I downloaded a user manual as I noticed in the video that one of the LED lights was indicating a fault.

The Status light appears to be indicating a fault. It is hard to tell but it appears to be a quick flash red to yellow. This would indicate per the manual an under voltage condition. I'm guessing that your voltage in your shop is drooping under load below the threshold voltage the controller expects to see. Could be that the wiring isn't large enough out to your shop or the grid is providing you marginal voltage.

Of course I could be totally wrong as it is hard to see exactly what the LED is doing during the fault condition and I might have made an incorrect leap to the VFD manufacturer and model.

Dietrich --

Brilliant. The outlet I had it plugged into seems to be the culprit. I ran an extension cord to another outlet and it works fine. Happily, this just means I can call an electrician.

Thanks for the help, guys!! This forum rocks.

--Dave

Happy to See you are getting set up Now Dave I look forward to seeing your work again .

Sam