dennis mcadams

Bader controller

Here is another grinder question. I've had a BIII for a number of years and had to replace the controller due to an electrical failure. As this is the only one i've run much I thought they were supposed to run fairly slow but with lots of torque at 100 % but now I've seen a couple of others that run much faster than mine and I'm asking anybody who has one if they could share how their jumpers are configured. Mine is a 2HP variable speed DC model, 240 single phase input (what some call 220 single phase).

Thanks in advance, Denis

Assuming we have the same controller. Mine is a BALDOR BC154 in a NEMA 4 encasing...

I see 8 jumpers. I looked for my manual but couldn't find it so I will enumerate the setting for each jumper:

J1 @ R44

J2A @ 240V

J2B @ 240V

J3 @ 180V

J4 @ 10A

J5 @ TCL

J6 @ 7V

J7 @ 10V

My recollection of when I set this up is that I needed to make sure that the J2A and J2B where indeed set at 240V (in the picture you can see that the top J2A is set in the lower position and the bottom J2B is in the top position.) and that the leads connecting to the power were set for 220-240V and that the outlet was 220V rated for 15 Amps. I also recall that the only other jumpers I needed to change from the factory settings were the ones that needed to be set for 10 Amps or 10 Volts which were J4 and J7.

Let me know how it turns out and I can take more detailed pictures or info if you need it.

IMG_5655n.jpg

One thing to keep in mind is that there are 2 different types of setups. There is the DC motor and controller like yours, however many of the newer ones are actually 3 phase AC motors and controllers. Both sets run off single phase 120 or 240. It is possible that the ones you have seen that "run faster" are actually 3 phase.

I have this one for a KG Clone ;

http://imgur.com/BSMnVIc,Untvt0L,9Bv4Inb,e9gBa9M,TRNNnj2#0

There are 5 photos there

Mine will run at the lowest setting.01 HRZ of 130 belt ft per min & the highest setting of 60 Hrz at 36,000. belt ft per min or very close to that I would need to go to my shop to make sure .

Sam

As Podmajersky says, AC motors on VFDs can be run above their rated speed and this is very likely to be what you have seen.

With a DC motor, the only thing that the controller can vary is the Voltage. Speed follows Voltage and once the maximum voltage is reached, that's it.

AC drives control both frequency and Voltage. Below rated frequency and Voltage, both increase together, giving a constant torque characteristic. Once the rated Voltage is reached, the drive stops increasing the Voltage, but can continue to increase the Frequency. The motor speed will continue to increase with the frequency, but the torque will reduce as the speed increases, giving a constant power characteristic.

What I have is a DC motor and controller and that is what I described above. Denis' setup may be different.

Thanks for the help guys. Jesus, while my newer controller has a slightly different jumper arrangement seeing how yours is configured solved the problem. Mine has always been set up for maximum torque and less speed so even at 10% you almost couldn't load it down. But now it runs crazy fast and has all the original torque at 60% plus speed but suffers a little torque loss at slower than 30%. I can live with that since it hogs off material at 100% like it never has!

Denis