jake cleland

'knapped' steel dagger

Very Cool well done sweet fit and finish.

Sam

Now that is lovely in a savage way....

Hey Jake, I 'm listening to 'no quarter by the boys of led.zep' also very primal! Thanks man, you've really made my evening!:...'

thanks guys, and especially Tom - for those who don't know, Tom is the absolute master of this style of blade, and he has very generously shared a tutorial for making them both here and (i think) on his website - I should, of course, have acknowledged my debt to him in the initial post...mea culpa.

any suggestions for some scrimmed/incised handle decorations? not sure whether to go first nations-ish or some kinda norse or celtic hybrid...

How about full-on early (pre-bronze) Pictish or whatever we're calling them at that time? A little neolithic flavor for a neo-lithic-looking blade?

It's a work of art! A thing of beauty that will last forever! Good job on this blade.

Nice one Jake...I get the feeling this has taken a lot of work to do...very nice

any suggestions for some scrimmed/incised handle decorations? not sure whether to go first nations-ish or some kinda norse or celtic hybrid...

I vote for some kinda norse or celtic hybrid...and done in the style of incised Native American/First Nations petroglyphs. By that, I mean somewhat primitive, not your usual perfect carvings...curse your usual perfect carvings... :)

I've been using a pretty strong potassium permanganate solution (with a tiny bit of trisodium phosphate as a wetting agent) painted into incised/engraved lines. By that, I mean a knife tip of powder, and a few drops of water - a little goes a long way. That will oxidize (darken) down inside the cuts (use a fine synthetic fiber brush, not natural hair ones, don't ask me how I know this). Multiple applications until you're pleased with the depth of color. I like the potassium permanganate better than just inks, since it duplicates aging of the material you put it on, and makes a more natural looking color than ink. A word to the wise - test this on scraps first...

Tom

Nice work. Looks the part for sure!

Very cool!