Geoff Keyes

"New" forging station

I've been thinking about this for a while. Most of my hand forging work gets done on my post anvil, and I wanted to free up some floor space for other projects (like forging classes). The post has been mounted on a piece of 3' x 4', 3/4" plate. The post is in a piece of square tube welded to the plate and held in place (as much as 260# of steel needs to be held in place :P ) with some wooden wedges. Since there was no place to hold tools, I have another post laid on it's side with a couple of receivers welded to it. The 200# Fisher got used as a holder for the cutoff hardy and very little else :( .

So what I've done is to move the tooling anvil onto the plate, along with a 200# ish swedge block. The swedge block will now hold my hardy tools and some bending forks and such, the tooling anvil holds the guillotine tools and makes for a dandy place to straighten long stuff.

I also squeezed in a rack for most of my hammers and cleared out a rolling rack for my tongs. Those have a new home on the wall between the powerhammer and the forge. A small side table now has a single stake holder and a rack for the less used hammers and handled tools.

This has cleared out enough space for me to bolt my post vice to floor (it's been floating here and there) and to have two more forging stations for students, as needed.

IMG_9380 (640x427).jpg

IMG_9382 (427x640).jpg

IMG_9383 (640x427).jpg

I was going to build a single hardy holder out some heavy steel block on a piece of pipe, but then I realized that the swedge block would do the same thing, and I could use the block to forge on too! The only thing I couldn't fit on the plate is a vice, and I didn't want stuff hanging off that I could trip over or get hung up on, so the vice goes stand alone.

Thanks for looking

Geoff

Geoff,

Looks well organized and a lot cleaner than my place is currently.

George

Well chosen camera angles. Mostly the shop is a mess of cut off and things. That is what I'm trying to control. Picture #3 is taken from about the spot of the post anvil. The forge is just to the right and the hammer is just to the left. The press and welding forge are just to the left of the swedge block. I've managed to get clear floor (more or less) in the work triangles there. The rest is still a mess, particularly around the welding table and the band saw.

Geoff