composite Migration sword...

ugghhh.. This has been a tough one. I decided to start this project on a really rainy, crap weather week and right in the midst of major shop moves, overhauls, hunting season, wife on trips, chaos. I've always thought that the weather thing was just superstition.. but now I'm not so sure. I've dealt with weld failures at every step of this process. I finally got it all worked out.. but then I was left with a blade that I thought was beautiful.. but too narrow for the original idea behind the project. So today I decided to draw out some straight laminate of 15n20/1084 into a high density edge bar.. and add one more layer to this thing. The core as it is... is a single bar of straight laminate.. 1045/1075 between two bars of 15n20/1084 twist and an edge of 1075. And now this additional edge bar.

Another factor that came into play was the fact that I put distal taper into all my bas for the composite that caused me to go a little more narrow in the tip. Such a complex action these composite blades.

Anyway... it is intended to be a Migration sword and will have bronze, bone and black oak hilt.

Here are some pictures of the journey to this point...

1374054_596872833687475_1207886553_n.jpg

1377356_597462426961849_517170074_n.jpg

1382173_598183996889692_831787795_n.jpg

Here is where it is right now.. and hopefully solid tomorrow:

1381802_601857819855643_1925222973_n.jpg

1375973_601865599854865_1135130768_n.jpg

And casting the bronze pommel cap from native Michigan copper with some tin.

1375643_593331874041571_1692675225_n.jpg

Edited by Scott A. Roush

Like opening a package at Christmas! Im anxious to see the finished product!

You know I am usually not into swords but I have seen some fine ones on here and this is an example what looks to be a classic. You had my intrest with the first picture. My jaw feel open and all I could say was WOW! Two thumbs up!

Alan I still think we need better smilies! rockon.gif I keep having to go borrow ones!

Thanks folks...

Well this project is finally starting to look like it will have a happy ending. Here it is after welding up the last edge bar, truing up flats, and grinding fuller. Tomorrow will be edge bevels.. and maybe heat treat.

1379534_602294526478639_1959770615_n.jpg

Edited by Scott A. Roush

hehe... with that fresh test etch and without the edge bevels ground you can hardly even tell that blade has a deep fuller!

btw... this test etch was done in sodium bisulfite (Hot Tub pH minus). I might use that more often as it also eats scale like nobody's business.

Hey Scott

It's funny but at first seeing the picture but not reading the post I thought it was some kind of flaw near the tip, then realised it was the fuller! Your the second person to talk about sodium bisulfate today, looks like I gotta get me some of that.

Matt.. I did a longer etch using it and it really mucks it up! It's a little too universal in it's appetite. :-) But for a quick etch OR to just eat scale.. it is amazing. You can wife forge scale off with a paper towel after a few minutes in fresh, warm sodium bisulfite.

As to the fuller.. yeah that picture really is deceptive.

Looking nice, Scott. I would love to know more about your casting process.

Dan... I carved a wax model and impressed it into Petrobond oil clay. The Petrobond is in a typical 2 part wooden casting flask that I made like you would use for normal sand casting. It's pretty rough casting methodology. The carving in the wax is more of an exercise than anything. There is enough of an impression left in the cast piece that I can basically re-do it using chisels, punches, rotary tool, etc. For me it's mostly just getting the bronze into a shape that will work.

If anybody has considered getting the Delft clay kits.. don't! Petrobond is the same stuff and way, way cheaper.

I really like the pattern in the center, and if Rappunzel's hair had been a metaphor for a sword, this would be it... (not in a cartoonish, kids way, but the darker Bros. Grimm sorta style)

Thanks guys.

Nate.. I love the Rappunzel metaphor. It has never occurred to me. I actually just read that story to my son for bedtime.

I have bad feeling. I heard a ping when withdrawing from the quench and I quickly put it into my temper oven. I haven't yet opened to look. I'm feared.

Scott,

Please tell me more about this sodium bisulfite. Scale is my arch nemesis. Since moving to FL it's tough to use my old method of a 7" grinder with a cup wheel since you have to do it outside, and outside = death (heat) here.

Where do I get it, and how does one use this magic elixir of anti-scale?

Thanks in advance for the help!

--Dave

BOOOO!!!!! :(

I hope that cups there's filled with something to warm your sprites

My sprites are doing just fine Michael. that braggot there would burn off their pretty little toes.. :lol:

What about a matching dagger or something out of the broken tip? That is unless there is a lot of damage that will keep you from using it.