Caleb Harris

Viking War Hawk- Throwing Hatchet

This is my second RR spike hawk, this time using the head end of the spike for the cutting edge. The last one I mis-centered the punch, and though I did go through with it (due to time limits), I really wish I had more time to start over. Thanks Mr. Florianek- really should have listened and started over immediately. I have learned my lesson. Always listen to Petr :P .

The blade took me about three days, and the handle only one. As I said, blade is HC RR spike- not sure about the handle. I recently watched the Ulfberht documentary and have been fascinated with Viking weaponry, so this has been patterned after one. With this make I think I'm feeling a few sparks about my chin (hint, hint!) The blade is normalized twice, edge hardened once, but I did not bother tempering. Am I supposed to?

I secured the head by gradually tapering the handle, the hammering the head on using the hardie hole in my anvil (yes I have a real one now) to get a good fit, then secured with the tip of an old broken knife as a wedge.

I used to do a lot of chisel carving, so I tried my hand here. Viking w' beard on one side, deer on the other. I took advantage of a knot in the wood and gave the Viking a knotty hat.

IMG_1182Vikingaxe.jpg

IMG_1183Vikingaxe2.jpg

IMG_1184VikingAxe3.jpg

IMG_1185VikingAxe4.jpg

IMG_1186VikingAxe5.jpg

IMG_1187VikingAxe6.jpg

I'm actually not quite finished yet; still going to rub in some oil to the wood as well as polish the blade a bit. I'll probably experiment with more carvings too. Anyway, comments and critiques welcome!

Edited by Caleb Harris

This is better than your last effort, but really, RR spikes? At the very least pick up some old ball pein hammers and use them. 2 advantages, they already have an eye, and you probably can heat treat them. With a RR spike the best you can hope for is a bit of toughness.

Old, broken, misused hammers can often be had for pennies, junk stores, Goodwill, garage sales, these places are your friends. Tell all your friends that you are looking for this kind of stuff, that usually results in a steady flow. Old hammers can also be converted into top tools, cut off chisels, texturing tools, all kinds of things.

Just my .02

Geoff

Ok. I'm fine with RR spikes for now- it actually does harden up enough so a file will not mark it easily, and I'm in the practice stage; if it's hard, I learn. I will look into that; thanks.

I'm also not sure that Vikings used throwing hatchets, though given guys through the ages, I can just see a bunch of Vikings, drinking mead. Sven says "Hey, Bjorn, bet you can't hit that tree!". Game on.

The Francesca or the hurlbat were supposed to have been thrown in combat, but why would you take a perfectly good weapon and give it to your opponent?

g

Throwing axe sounds a lot cooler than hatchet. :P

So, it is a good axe, you can just say axe :P But you have to realize you cant just make a axe and assume it will fly through the air like a well balanced throwing axe..

Another thing, trying to mark the steel with a file isn't really the best way to check hardness, even using the edge of the file, on high carbon steel thats been heat treated properly, will get marked, try tapping your hammer or another hard steel or even the file on it, a fairly sturdy blow, if it simply dents then it isn't harder than typical forged steel.

Also, that would be a really nice battle axe coupled with a sword :D

Edited by Daniel J. Luevano

that is huge improvement from your previous axe!love the shape of it.looks a little bit to the axes shown in the ''VIKINGS'' TV series :D !

I agree..huge improvement Caleb....you have youth on your side mate...stick with it and the world is your oyster

Thats a BIG improvement Caleb ! Geoff is right on about the hammer heads. I cant pass one up, find them all the time. You can forge a neat Tommy hawk with a mean back spike from an old claw hammer head. Use the head as the blade and the claws welded together and drawn out into a Armour piercing back spike. Corngits on getting an anvil too!

Thanks guys! Most of the improvement is due to the anvil: I managed to get a nice 7 stone Peter Wright for $260.

Congrats on the anvil! and Nice job on the axe.

A real anvil does indeed make a difference, but don't short yourself on the improvement in your techniques either.

James