machineman1555

correct normalizing

Hi, my name is Terry. I have been a member of this list for awhile. I just want to thank you all for the wonderfull information you share. I am a beginner and soon to start my first project. I noticed on one of tai's posts {correct normalizing} could you guys tell me how to do that. I am starting in 5160 by someones instructions in this list.

Thanks Terry :)

MACHINE MAN 1555> If you would go back up and look in on the board there is six pages on normalizing.

I just came from the shop. We had a little snow, that was all the reason I needed to go to the shop.Grin

I straightened a coil-spring and worked up two blades. I had one almost ready to heat-treat, a hair started showing up in the metal and got bigger till you could tell it was a stress crack in the metal. I looked closer and there were two more. Make sure you have good metal before you go to all the work of shaping a blade.Grin

Chuck

For 5160, heat the blade to just above critical, and let it cool slowly inside the forge or furnace chamber. Do not air cool 5160 to normalize. If the blade warps, restraighten and repeat the normalizing process.

"Air cooling blades from oil hardening steels will likely result in hard spots,... incomplete, abnormal or improper normalization!!!"

Edited by Tai

Oh Yeah!...

Prior to normalizing, the blade should be brought to just above critical temperature and air cooled ( thermal cycled) several times as part of the straightening procedure, and ... "ritually" at the end of the straightening procedure to see that the blade will remain straight and insure a normal grain structure. :)

Normalize, normalize, normalize.... :D

Edited by Tai