hey guys ive been wanting to try some garnet inlay over a curved surface for a while now and i havent really been able to wrap my head around the problems of doing such* why couldent vikings and anglo saxons have come to australia to leave their jewels all over the place!!!! :angry: for me to study!!!! :angry: *.

i have done flat garnet inlay before with sucess but on a dimentional surface, so because the is no meuseums in canberra or australia that i know of that has any garnet inlay work for me to study first hand tonight i have just figured that i should "learn by doing" and i mean what could go wrong? :rolleyes:

175.jpg

so this is the general concept for the spacer, nothing as elaborate as the staffordshire hoard entwined garfish ferrule but still plenty challenging.

176.jpg

soldered together, the easyest of the easy part done. next to solder in the sections separating the cells but its late and im tired so may be tomorrow

cheers

Interesting project, this has some awesome potential. I await your progress!

John

I look forward to seeing this progress .

Sam

Waiting to see this done! Are lapidary tools required to do this task?

I am on board with everyone else. Good idea, challenging but fun and we want to see it develop!

setting stones is a near-future goal for me.

kc

Part two so far ive gotten the cell walls all soldered in and filed back so next step is the inlay and making the backing foils. I think ill have to make a new die to make the backing foils, my old one is a little distorted.20131105_165257.jpg thanks mark I have seen those two before and spent many hours drooling over them. Hoys forge yes lapidary equipment (most of mine is magyvered together) is needed for this project ill try to show how I do it when the time comes.

Ive got 24 cells to fill but that isnt going to happen tonight!

Cheers

Eldana

Sorry for the pause there, work got in the way anyway I got my new foil die made. Its engraved in to a chunk of

Very hard brass ill be the first to say that engraving isnt my forte you can see that its a bit uneven but it has sofar given me the best foils.20131109_165558.jpg pic for scale of the die

20131109_165630.jpg detail shot taken through a loupe

20131109_174101.jpg and with a positive and negative foil.

My technique is to stickytape an oblong of polished brass foil that has been rolled down to about 0.05mm so it dosent shift about. Then i lay it on my anvil with a chunk of lead over it and smack the crap out of it. The foil is soft enough and the lead is too so the die dosent get dammaged.

Yep i will be using a powder to support the back, ive used talc amd hideglue and tin oxide with hideglue they both work just fine but from what ive read in arrhenius merovingian garnet jewellery her research has mainly found sand with an egg albumen binder so ill give that a go.

Stay tuned for the next exciting installment!

Cheers

• 2 months later...

hi guys sorry for the hiatus on this one but you know Christmas and working and *cough cough* laziness... anywho ive basically got one side done now. FB_IMG_138897423398289541.jpg

the garnets along th emiddle are flat cut like i have previously done ( the curve is so shallow that i can get away with doing them flat there) but the ones on the end are cut with a curve on th eoutside. i was very conserned that i would have to cut and polish the curve on the inside too but it turns out in this instance at least i didnt need to.FB_IMG_138905350871331851.jpg

there are a few gaps but they are in there good and tight. got to be very careful when burnishing the cell wall over, very easy to crack a stone!

i have gotten to the point where i should have designed the rest of the knife and fittings for it. hmmmmm. any ideas?

cheers

• 1 month later...

Wonderful!!

Great job!! What are you using to shape the stones. I see you have them all dop sticked up there.

I have found my Dremel, with some good diamond bits to work the best.

One day!! :)

Mark

• 1 year later...

wow what a long time between posts! i finished this one up beacause i am going to the uk in a few weeks and i wanted to have something to show curators to maybe allow me to get a closer look at some of the exibits, like with calipers ;)20150403_2133571.jpg20150403_2134301.jpg

and resting against a PW saex i found in my bookshelf. looks like it would work 14280566253271.jpg