The difference good pictures make... (updated pic of the chef's knife included)

I spent the afternoon reading a bit, regarding knife photography. I have had several people state that a poor quality picture will not sell a good product, and I think this has been true of many of the pictures I have posted in the past. It does take a little more time to get a good picture ready to post, but if the picture is not doing the end result any justice, it detracts from the overall impression that it could potentially make. This is true even when stuff is not for sale, in my opinion. So, I decided to play with the camera, and a makeshift light box, and these are the result of about twenty minutes worth of work, extra, instead of just throwing up some crappy cell phone pics. I think the greatest advantage to a good photo is that it can highlight areas that need to be improved, especially if you are honestly editing the photos (i.e. no fixing flaws). So, here is the result of my step into the realm of... well, not so crappy photos...

American Saex.jpg

Chef 1.jpg

chef 2.jpg

hunter 1.jpg

Hunter 2.jpg

Thanks, Phil... It is Claro Walnut and it is going to be given to one of the guys I've worked with for the past year. He is finishing his military service up, and it is my way of saying thanks... I went pretty thin on the scales, and I really like the way they look with the blade. It is not meant to be a heavy user (he actually mentioned wearing it with a suit) but it is surprisingly comfortable in the hand, in spite of the strong lines...

Actually, I want to clarify that I am not under the impression my knives are any better than they are, simply that I realize the role that good pictures can assist in capturing the impression an object is meant to give. Not that my pictures are great either... Lol... Ya'll know what I'm getting at....

Darn, does that mean I have to trade in my scrappy 'phone for a camera? : ) seriously though a light box is a good idea, reflections can play havoc with an otherwise good pic... I'll have to build one soon!

Whenever I see a poor-quality photo of a knife, it makes me wonder where else the smith might have skimped a bit. And, like we saw with the Mad Dwarves Forge, a quality photograph or representation can create an aura that is attractive in many ways. I guess the fact that I'm still talking about the MDF is proof that their marketing worked!

Nice pics. Now that we have a real camera I've been playing with a light box and settings. It's a world of difference. If you haven't seen it check out Walter Sorrells's video on photography- it was a big help.

Love the last knife.

Dave Armour