Sign in to follow this  
jameswood

pressing ferrules

has anyone got any experience with pressing sheet metal to make ferrules?

I'm trying to work out how to go about making dyes for my fly press but not having pressed sheet metal before in not sure of the subtleties involved.

Any help would be appreciated!

its something ive thought about james, you would need male and female dies, with a void between the two matching or a little less than the thickness of the stocke you are trying to press.

youd also want to combine the tool so it shears the plate leaving just the ferule, otherwise youre just going to burn up all the time savings you've made with fettling and cutting the piece out from the plate.

If you can get your hands on brass tubing, maybe a flaring tool used by plumbers to flare copper could work?

I use my little hydraulic press to do some press forming using contained urethane. Here is the start of a multi-part process on my blog: http://sterlingsculptures.com/wp/?p=2143

I've been making little pressed copper sheet bird skulls with this method, but it seems to me you should be able to do something similar, then cut the closed end off and have a single piece ferrule. Maybe...but I don't know if it will work with a fly press, having never used one (but I want one...).

Pay particular attention where I talk about the folds that form in the sheet metal and how to get rid of them.