Sign in to follow this  
Jesus Hernandez

Dagger

This is a dagger made of 1050, 1095 and 15N20. I had worked on the pattern as my first attempt at replicating the ayasugi hada of the Gassan school of Japanese makers. I am not actually sure how the Japanese create their pattern but I have been fascinated by blades from this school for a long time. I believe that what they do is a modified ladder pattern.

In any case, this is what turned out of this project.

dagger.jpg

Hi Jesus

man o man....that is a nice pattern !

luv the burl handle too

thanks for the peek

Greg

That is looking really nice, what did you use as bolster andguard material, it looks porous or is that texture?

Richard

JESUS: Looks great. I like your choice of colors and contrast. Good grind and finish.

It looks like you cast the butt cap. What was the metal?? Did you use a spacer between the cap and the wood? In the pic I can't quite tell.

Keep up the good work.

Chuck Bennett

Thanks everyone.

The pommel and the guard are made from welded cable. Both were etched in ferric for an extraaaaa long time. The funny thing is that they look very different in their texture and the only thing that was different between the two pieces is that I took the pommel out of the etch bath in the middle of the process to take a peak. Next time I will remember to do whatever I do to both pieces at the same time, so that whatever "accident" happens that creates the pattern is ocurring evenly to all pieces.

Guest MPerks89

Jesus, you are ridiculous.

Go make your own forum instead of making everyone else look bad!

;)

rockin' blade, Jesus, I reall like it. It looks like a more practical yet slightly more evil fairbairn-sykes commando dagger - Can't go wrong with that! really beautiful work, mate

Jesus, very nice Dagger.

The over etched cable damascus fittings add a cool distinctive look.

Thanks for showing us. :)

Jesus,

darn nice work :)

however.... I believe it would look much better if you would take the pictures on a neutral background...

I feel the vivid background keeps me distracted from the knife and as well it looks a bit computerized (towards the handle)...

Stick to simple backs and the work will look 10-times better

dan

Dan, that is a very good point. I tried the more neutral background but with my photography set-up I could not get an even gradual tonal range in the background so I switch to the tile work. But I completely agree with you. The busier the pattern on the blade, the simpler the background should be. Well... I broke one of Coop's photo rules. I should had seen this coming... :blink: